We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In Italy- damages US passport- question

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
In Italy- damages US passport- question

I spilled water on my passport and dried it off right away. In a panic I didn't pay attention if water got on to my photo.

Anyway my passport is completely legible but the edge of pages looks like it has been shuffled a million times.

Naturally to make my life more difficult, it happened Friday afternoon when all of the US consulate offices are closed.......

And my next stop is Venice.. where the consulate office is at the airport which cannot handle same day replacement.

Anyway on to my question:

Though my passport is very legible, I am a worrywart.

I was going to go to the consulate office at Venice airport later today and show them the passport and get their opinion if I should get a replacement. I am not sure if there are things not visible to naked eye that got damaged. (Hoping to not go to Milan)

Or buy a train ticket to Milan for Monday morning and go straight to the office there which is only open from 8-12:30?

10 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,893 posts
1 review
1. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

Where are you going after Italy?

It's not exiting a country that's the problem but entering it. So if you are going to the UK then you'll have a major problem as the airline would be concerned about you being denied entry which costs them big bucks, if you are heading back to the USA then you'll still have a problem but it shouldn't be as bad as you have a right to enter the USA as a USA citizen.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

Okay, first piece of advice that won’t help you now but will help you and others in future. Always carry your passport in a small sealed transparent plastic bag. Then if you spill water on it, or it falls out of your jacket pocket into a puddle, it’s the bag that gets wet not your passport.

Now to your point. Where will you be flying internationally next *outside* the Schengen Area? If it’s straight back to the US you’ll likely be okay as the next Immigration officer to inspect your passport will be a CBP officer and they’ll let you in (with a recommendation to get it changed in the US). And it’s unlikeky that a reputable airline would deny you boarding back directly to the US.

You could try contacting CBP via email or social media and ask (include a photo of the damage).

If you’re going anywhere else that could be an issue.

Good luck.

Edited: 4:46 am, September 22, 2018
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

I am heading back to US later this week. Stop over Paris on one ticket.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

I am heading back to US later this week- stop over Paris on one ticket.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

https:/…

I had never heard of a US consulate in Venice (the ones in Florence, Milan and Naples being the only ones known to me) so went to the US embassy page to check. There is a consular AGENCY in Venice (and the address at the airport is a MAILING one, not a walk-in one), as in Genoa, Palermo, etc., but it is not the same thing as a real US consulate and does not deal with passport issues. You will need to go to or call the consulate in Milan or Florence.

Edited: 1:15 pm, September 22, 2018
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

Oh- I was trying to go there and show them if passport looks ok.

Looks like Milan here I come

Mystic, Connecticut
Level Contributor
140 posts
195 reviews
7. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

Another tip for the future is always copy the front page of your passport and keep the copy with your luggage. That way you can produce the photocopy of the front page with the photo as well as the actual passport if you have a damaged passport or lose your passport.

The advice about keeping your passport in a plastic bag or plastic sleeve is excellent.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,771 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

I don't think you will have trouble coming back into the USA as a USA citizen.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,560 posts
9. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

I don't think you will have trouble coming back into the USA as a USA citizen.

==========

These days, one never knows what might happen

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
84 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: In Italy- damages US passport- question

I have a copy of my passport printed, I have it emailed as well.

Reply to: In Italy- damages US passport- question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted