We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

minimum connection time

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
minimum connection time

the BA site has a flight back to lhr from las vegas with a change at lax but only allows 1.5 hrs i thought that was too short, reason ffor looking at this is friend is on flight from lax to lhr and thought it be nice to travel back together,

called BA they said it was fine to sell that flight, im just concerned wont allow enough time

10 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: minimum connection time

90 Minutes to connect at LAX from LAS for the flight to LHR is perfectly ok as long as both flights are on the same ticket and the first flight is on time.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: minimum connection time

thanks its a through fare sold on BA, i just thought it had to be 3hrs minimum

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,929 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: minimum connection time

I’d prefer 2 hours just for contingency, but 90 minutes is perfectly doable at LAX on a through ticket with an ontime arrival.

With the new T4 to TBIT connector walkway you simply walk from the arriving gate to the departure gate in TBIT (BA flights depart the Tom Bradley International Terminal).

If the first flight is on American then they use T4 and it’s only a few minutes. If it’s Alaska then it’s a longer walk from T6 involving a pedestrian subway between T6 and T4, but still fine.

The key point is the new walkway means you no longer have to go outside and then reclear security at TBIT.

Edited: 3:08 am, September 22, 2018
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: minimum connection time

thanks the flight is AA from las-lax

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
312 posts
5. Re: minimum connection time

"I just thought it had to be 3hrs minimum."

The airport you will need three hours at is the first. U.S. airport upon re-entry. If all you are doing is changing gates, you may not need too much time at LAX, but I am not comfortable with 90 minutes before any international flight. If the flight out of LAS is late departing, your chances of missing the LAX-LHR flight skyrockets without 2+ hours.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: minimum connection time

well booked flight and its on a package only has 90 minutes from landing at lax, BA have said if for some reason i dont make it thy will have to make arrangements for me

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,453 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: minimum connection time

If the first flight is delayed and causes you to miss a connection they will put on the next available flight. It may not be the next departing flight though.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: minimum connection time

will they be obliged to put me in a hotel, its classed as a package hotel as have 1 night hotel with them

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,754 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: minimum connection time

one night hotel where?

Look don't wait for BA or AA to help you. Get to LAS early and keep an eye on your flight. If your AA flight is showing delays talk to AA to see what the options are right there. Don't wait until you get to LAX late.

Let's not worry about hotel or beach now. 90 minutes is just fine. If you are even 45 minutes late into T4 it won't take you more than 15 minutes to get to your BA flight so while you may have dreams of getting a hotel for free in LAX, there is a better chance of them re-routing you than putting you up

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: minimum connection time

im not after a free night, just wouldnt want to be stranded at LAS, I Booked a flight with Ba and 1 night hotel as that then gives me atol protection like a package holiday

Reply to: minimum connection time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted