We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Hunter Valley
Level Contributor
73 posts
86 reviews
Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Hi- Etihad Abu Dhabi have confirmed they have my lost phone, but their courier won’t ship it home (Australia) as the screen is damaged. I am not planning to travel back through AUH any time soon and don’t have anyone else that can collect the item for me.

I’ve begged baggage services to post or ship me the SD card which they say they can’t. I am asking again, with much pleading and waiting on a response. Pick up in AUH is likely my only option...

My question is whether anyone has had any success getting a local Abu Dhabi courier to collect on your behalf and then ship an item home? Is there such a thing like air tasker, where a local resident may collect on my behalf and send me the SD card??

I’m keen to hear any creative suggestion or success story that may help me get my SD card returned (I don’t even want the phone!)

Thanks

8 replies to this topic
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
181 reviews
1. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

I can see why they don’t want to ship your phone, they don’t want to be blamed for the damaged screen.

Also, they removing the SD card and shipping it to you could have serious legal implications. How do they know if it’s you ?

Quite frankly I’m not sure what you can do ?

Hunter Valley
Level Contributor
73 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Thanks for your reply. It is a tricky situation.

I have provided evidence to prove I am the owner of the phone (detailed description plus IMEI numbers) and the courier would ship it if it was not damaged, so I have satisfied those tests.

I am not quite sure what you mean by there being serious legal implications of sending the SD card in case I am not me- I have already proved that I am the owner of the phone and therefore the SD card held within. If you have other thoughts about this, I’m interested to hear them.

I am trying to think laterally of a way to overcome the barriers in this situation.

Thanks again.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,094 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

nobody here can help you. if the sd card is vital to you, then you will have to sort out some way to get it yourself. but i am sure that if you pay for someones flight to and from abu dhabi, they could collect it for you. otherwise you just have to write it off.

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,575 posts
181 reviews
4. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Removing the sim or memory card would most likely be a mine field for data protection.

Most phones; mine included, have my mobile banking app installed etc.

The airport would be loathed to do anything that might leave them open to legal action. ID theft and cyber crime is so widespread it wouldn’t take a huge stretch of the imagination to see implications if anything untoward happens.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Have you tried calling any local couriers? Have you tried posting on the Abu Dhabi forum?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

There are many couriers in the UAE incl. some of the known global ones.

Unless, you have a friend in Abu Dhabi, there are two options:

A.) Courier service:

1.) Find a courier who is willing to pick this item up from Etihad.

2.) Contact Etihad and find out their legal requirements for a power of attorney (so the courier can pick it up).

3.) Make a power of attorney and send it to the courier company

4.) They will pick up the phone and send it to you.

B.) Data recovery company (same points as for courier except that they send you the data and then (hopefully) destroy the phone and memory card.

Whatever you do, get an app or service to back up your phone regularly and automatically to a place you trust.

Edited: 3:56 am, September 22, 2018
Hunter Valley
Level Contributor
73 posts
86 reviews
7. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Thank you- I see what you were saying now. Thanks for explaining.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,052 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please

Could you send them some kind of waiver that says you are aware of the damaged screen and will not hold them liable for the damage?

Edited: 9:52 am, September 22, 2018
Reply to: Abu Dhabi lost and found- need help please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted