We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
26 reviews
UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

I just looked at the info for an upcoming international trip on United (US to EU). On the original receipt for the trip Nov.1st, it said the typical 1 free bag of 50 lbs or less with the 2nd bag at $100, also max of 50 pounds. Now when I view my itinerary in "My Trips", this is what I'm seeing:

1st bag 2nd bag Weight per bag

Thu., Nov. 1, 2018 Knoxville, TN, US (TYS) to Basel, CH (BSL) $0 $0 100.0 lbs (45 kgs)

Same for the return. Get the same results if I use their Baggage Calculator and plugging in my PNR and Last Name.

I know UA upped their baggage fees recently, but certainly hadn't heard anything about them doubling not only the number of free bags for this route but also doubling the weight. This has to be a mistake as I can't see the baggage handlers dealing with 100 pound bags or UA forgoing the $100 2nd bag fee.

Anyone else seeing this on their UA reservations?

5 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

I just checked the UA Baggage Calculator (Any Flight) and it was still showing $0 for 1st bag (up to 50 lbs/23 kg) and $100 for 2nd bag (up to 50 lbs/23 kg) in Economy (with no status) on that route on that date - possible website glitch.

Edited: 3:13 pm, September 21, 2018
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

I'm figuring a website glitch, but was curious as to whether this was standard across everyone's itineraries or not. Seems like it is itinerary-specific. Neither of us needs a 2nd bag and we certainly don't need to pack 100 pounds each! Wonder what will happen if someone else gets this, does a screen shot, and then shows up at the airport with twice the "free" luggage allowance? If they have it in writing....LOL

Thanks for replying.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
741 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

Just checked my UA flight IAD to LHR in mid-October. It still shows 1st bag - $0, 2nd bag $100, Wt. per bag 50.00 lbs (23.0 kg). Same for return. Shows same on app and website.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,872 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

Must be a glitch. The maximum allowable weight for a single bag us 70lbs/32kg.

Either that or you just hit MileagePlus Silver/Star Silver and are getting the bonus baggage. Two free checked bags at 50lbs/23kg would give you a total (max) of 100lbs/45-46kg.

Edited: 10:28 pm, September 21, 2018
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary

USBT, the thing is that it not only said two free bags, but that the weight of EACH bag could weigh up to 100 pounds/45kg.! Sent myself a receipt yesterday and it shows there, so I know I'm not going completely crazy. I have not reached any status with UA as we don't fly them that much (cruise company did these flights).

However it's back to normal today. Just odd that it was showing up on my itinerary yesterday and not when TomC checked flights on the same route. Oh well, another computer glitch solved. No wonder people show up at the airport confused and don't know their baggage allowance. LOL!

Reply to: UA Baggage Allowance Changed for Ticketed Itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted