We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long walks at US International arrivals

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
187 reviews
Long walks at US International arrivals

I hope to fly from the UK to the USA later this year but am put off by the long walks from the aircraft to the immigration / security areas as walking is not mine or my wife's strong points at the moment. Which US airport that accommodates incoming International flights that has the shortest walk?

29 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
19,275 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

There must be hundreds of international airports in the USA! What part of the USA are you hoping to visit? Thank you.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,684 posts
72 reviews
2. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

You could always ask the airline for assistance if you have difficulty walking long distances.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
187 reviews
3. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

Anywhere in a line from Seattle to Miami. I know it's a vast area.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
204 reviews
4. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

Wheelchair assistance ?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
5. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

I think the straight answer would be SWF or PVD - outlying airports for NY & Boston respectively and served by Norwegian. However, that isn't the whole picture.

When you say "from the UK" do you mean the IOM? If so, I would suggest the hop to Dublin which has pre-clearance facilities enabling you to clear immigration before you board. A preview -

https:/…us-preclearance-facility

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,271 posts
6. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

OK - so we were all typing at the same time.

>>>Anywhere in a line from Seattle to Miami. <<<

That doesn't leave a lot of change, does it !! so, I still think Dublin departure is the safest bet, and select anywhere you fancy from the long list of destinations available here -

https:/…Passenger

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
40,793 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

Pick a city, book a direct flight and ask for wheelchair assistance. The distance from the flight to immigration is, IMO, not the criteria to use when deciding where to go. After all, there is an easy way around your problem.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

It's not that simple as it could depend on which gate is assigned on arrival - keep it simple and book assistance.

The idea of picking an airport and therefore the vacation location based on the walking distance makes no sense at all.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,821 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

To be honest, to pick your US airport based on how much or little walking there is seems distinctly perverse to me. I've been some some tiny regional airports with minimal walking, facilities and anything else (FCA comes to mind off the top of my head) but there are no international flights to that airport and it's hardly the centre of much that a tourist who doesn't walk offers.

Also, many UK airports are not exactly tiny and often involve a lot of walking to reach remote gates.

What you can do - and this is free of charge - is to book assistance with the airline you fly with. In general, this will provide a wheelchair or motorised buggy service from the check in desk to the gate on departure and being greeted off the aircraft at the other end with similar to get you through the arrival airport at either end of both outward and return journeys.

SWT

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Long walks at US International arrivals

Ask for mobility assistance and fly into a larger airport. They will whizz you away in buggies or a wheelchair from gate to queue and then help you with baggage collection.

Reply to: Long walks at US International arrivals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted