We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight on seperate ticket

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Connecting flight on seperate ticket

Hi everyone,

I will be flying from Prince Mohammed Bin Abdulaziz International Airport in Medinah (Saudi Arabia) on the 30th of October 2018 on a Royal Jordanian flight at 06:40am going to Queen Alia International Airport in Amman where i will be connecting to BA flight at 08:15am. A total of 55 min transit.

I have two seperate tickets. One is Medinah to Amman and the other is Amman to London.

I am flying with other family members on the same flight, time, airline and date but unlike me they are flying on a single ticket which i was unable to get hold of.

I am aware that they will have their bags checked in at Medinah Airport and will also do their immigration clearance there as well but mine being two seperate tickets, will they allow me to do the same? I will not have any checked baggage, only hand luggage.

If they wont allow me in Medinah will it mean i will have to go through immigration once in Medinah and then again in Amman?

I am aware that Royal Jordanian and BA are in the same Alliance.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am not a frequent traveller at all

Regards

25 replies to this topic
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,954 posts
476 reviews
1. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

I have not been to any of the airports you mention, in fact I've never travelled to that region of the world at all. But I understand that on two separate tickets you would have to go through immigration unless there are arrangements locally that mean you can avoid doing that. If there are no such arrangements, I doubt you will make that second flight.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
2. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

We have the same itinerary booked under a single ticket and also have a 55 min transit.

So surely must be doable right otherwise they would not have offered us this ticket right

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,954 posts
476 reviews
3. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

It is doable on a single ticket, but that does not mean it's doable on separate tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

Is that because we will have done our immigration at Medinah Airport therefore won't need to do it at Amman airport?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

BA will not check through bags on separate ticketed flights so I cannot see them accepting your bags.

The only way I can see this working is if one of your other family members checks your bags as their bags meaning you do not have to go to bag reclaim - if Amman airport has transit facilities and you have your boarding pass for the BA flight you might also be able to skip immigration.

However you do not have a protected connection and you're on your own if the first flight is delayed - you also need to ensure you are eligible to enter Amman as that's your destination as far as the first airline is concerned.

I wander the world
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

If there is an Amman forum it maybe the members there can help clear up some of these questions.

I would be concerned about visas for transit through Amman and the time it takes to get through customs and immigration.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
7. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

The plan is that the other family members will check in my bag with theirs so that I don't have to go to baggage reclaim in Amman. I will only have hang luggage and will be looking to do online check in for my BA flight from Amman

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,432 posts
52 reviews
8. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

If you have checked bags forget it. Simply impossible. As mentioned if your passport requires a visa to enter Jordan you better get one in order to board your 1st flight since for the 1st airline's purposes your journey terminates in Jordan. With carryon only, proper documentation, boarding pass for 2nd flight then you could in most cases just walk with your family from arrival to departure gate in the international transit zone. The only thing you need to be sure of is that you don't need any landside documents check regarding your eligibility to enter the UK before boarding that flight. Your family will be cleared for that at origination since they possess through-tickets. And there's nothing you can do at this point regarding your unprotected connection in Amman. If you miss the flight due to late arrival for example then you'll just have to have the financial means to deal with that.

And a great suggestion above to ask on the Amman forum where more people will be familiar with the procedures and setup of the airport.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Edited: 1:50 pm, September 20, 2018
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
41,474 posts
62 reviews
9. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

<<The plan is that the other family members will check in my bag with theirs >>

They won't be able to do that unless it's booked in their name on their ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
10. Re: Connecting flight on seperate ticket

I am a British passport holder so entering UK will not be a issue. Visa is already done for that country so no visa issue. No check in baggage as I will be giving to family members to check it in with them so no baggage reclaim so technically it can be done then. I just walk with off the medinah flight with them and simply walk again with them onto the BA flight by the sounds of it. I have also posted this on the Amman forum so that was great advice

Reply to: Connecting flight on seperate ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted