We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Norwegian Air prices hike?

Singapore, Singapore
5 posts
Norwegian Air prices hike?

Hello,

Prices on Norwegian Airlines suddenly spiked overnight. I was trying to book flight from Oslo to Budapet in Nov. It was ~50 Eur yesterday, today it's ~ 125 Euro. Flying with SAS is even cheaper.

Is this a planned hike? I saw the website is having technical problem yesterday too.

Cheers.

17 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

Is this a planned hike? - There is no way we can tell, fares increase as tickets sell so it's possible that the cheaper fares sold out.

They might come down again or equally they could increase further.

Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

Don’t know if it’s a planned hike but I’ve been following fares on 7 different routes and prices have increased significantly across all those routes. I even checked prices on their low fare calendar and prices are the same every day, whether high or low season. Very strange. I was having web issues on their site all day yesterday.

2 posts
3. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

Same here, I bought one-way tickets to the vacation destination and planned to buy tickets back today.

And such surprise... do not know what to do now. I would be cheaper to buy a return tickets from the regular carrier.

Level Contributor
214 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

Norwegian has stated on Twitter and Facebook that they are in fact experiencing technical issues. This has been going on for over 24 hours so I’m hoping it’s resolved soon.

Concord, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

I just chatted with customer service on-line. The technical problems have been resolved and the prices on the website (with big increases) are correct. I love Norwegian Air, but it appears that the honeymoon is over. In retrospect, the prices were too good to last.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,347 posts
105 reviews
6. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

"Good prices" are those that are good for both parties. Norwegian is suffering. Apart from simply selling out of the cheaper seats, reaching a pre-flight time threshold, or some technical glitch, they need to increase their fares overall.

South of England
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
185 reviews
7. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

I do hope just a glitch.

I recall Monarch increasing all their prices the weekend before their bubble burst in I guess an attempt to stop or slow new bookings coming in.

I fly with Norweigan tomorrow back from the US....

Concord, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

All true.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,882 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

"I do hope just a glitch. I recall Monarch increasing all their prices the weekend before their bubble burst in I guess an attempt to stop or slow new bookings coming in.

I fly with Norweigan tomorrow back from the US...."

-- TU, you'll be fine tomorrow. Norwegian is almost certainly making a profit in the third (summer) quarter. It's the other quarters where they've been losing money hand over fist. They'll almost certainly have enough money to survive the year at least.

""Good prices" are those that are good for both parties. Norwegian is suffering. Apart from simply selling out of the cheaper seats, reaching a pre-flight time threshold, or some technical glitch, they need to increase their fares overall."

-- And the problem is it's not just Norwegian. All the other long haul LCCs are trying to out discount each other and are losing money. WOW Air and Primera are heavily in the red, and even IcelandAir and WestJet made heavy losses in the second quarter. So maybe this is Norwegian sending out a signal that they can't all carry on like that. I suspect one of them will go under, though Norwegian still for now has the safety net of the IAG offer.

Btw, the problem is just as bad if not worse in India, where the most profitable airline (Indigo) saw Q2 profits drop 97%, and Jet Airways is on the brink. All because all the airlines are trying to out discount each other to fill their planes.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,274 posts
10. Re: Norwegian Air prices hike?

>>>though Norwegian still for now has the safety net of the IAG offer.<<<

Hmmm . . . I saw an article in august (FT, I think) where mr Walsh said those shares were for sale as it wasn't going anywhere and didn't look like it would. I don't know if they sold or it was a bit of posturing, but I got the impression their interest was over. Whether that's good or bad remains to be seen.

Reply to: Norwegian Air prices hike?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted