We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight cancellations, so aggravating!

maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flight cancellations, so aggravating!

I booked a trip to the Dominican Republic for September through Continental airlines. My flight was set for Friday - Thursday landing in an airport about 30 minutes away from the resort. Now they have cancelled two of my flights. the only option they are giving me now is to fly in one day earlier which is another couple hundred for the unexpected day at the resort and time off of work I really can't take. They are also saying I can't fly into the 30 minute away airport I will now have to fly into an airport 2 hours away. This angers me because this will add another $150.00 above what I was expecting to pay for a taxi to the resort. When I bought the tickets I could have saved over $100 if I wanted to fly into this airport! so now they are changing it anyway but I receive no compensation?? I was just wondering if I should press the airline to give me some type of compensation, or if this happens all the time and I just need to deal with it. Sorry for the long rant!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

"...press the airline for some type of compensation.....or deal with it"? Seems to me that it is up to you what to do. Throwing a question like that out will get you opinions on what each of us would do, but our personal decisions should not affect what you think is best for you. My suggestion is do both...ask the airline for compensation and if the say no, then deal with it. Chuck

maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

IThank you for the reply bur I wasn't really clear. I did request some type of compensation but was pretty much blown off. I was really just wondering if these cancellations happen often and if anyone has ever been compensated. Not being an experienced flyer I don't know if the airline was just passing me off, or if they never do anything for you and you just have to go with what they give you for flights after you already paid for the flight you wanted to take.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

You need to look at Continentals Conditions of carriage

continental.com/web/…

This will tell you what you are enitled to. However that doesn't preclude you getting more. Very generally, you need to decide what would be appropriate recompense (rather than just putting in a general complaint) and put it in writing.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

HI

this is one of the problems of booking far in advance.

the airlines might change their flights or schedule and you are left scambling.

I once booked a flight to China 6 months in advance 2 months before my departure date they canceled the flight just for the 1 day

I was booked. It was OCT 31 I guess no one wanted to work on halloween. luckely all my connecting flights allowed me to change date at no extra charge.

maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

Jenniferpa- Thanks for the info and the link, that was very helpful!

sawadeeka- Thanks for the advise, I didn't realize booking so early was a bad idea, I just wanted to book before the prices went up as they have already.

I havn't changed my actual flights yet to the options they have given me. do you think I should wait a couple months to see if any better flights open up, or should I change my ticket now? Does it matter? And if I change my ticket now would I be able to change it again without charge if a better flight came along in a few months? Sorry I don't have much flying experience and this is all so confusing to me.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

HI

booking early is not a bad idea some people have too so they can arrange work and life schedule

but in life everything does have a few problems in booking early sometimes the airlines change flights.

I would not wait to reschedule. sept is comming up real fast.

but stay on continental to do the right thing .once you are in the airline's system don't let them stall or push you around learn what you are entitled too, and fight for it.

good luck

Apache Junction...
Destination Expert
for Montego Bay
Level Contributor
10,635 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

Did you book this flight by yourself or through a travel agent? We had basically the same thing happen to us for an up coming trip to Jamaic. The airline we were originally booked with redid their whole flight schedule and it impacted our flight times and connecting flights. We were able to cancel the flight completely without penalty and rebook with another airlines, whose timetable and price was what we wanted. This might be an option to check out.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

This is a personal opinion (obviously) but in your situation I would do the following.

1) Find out if there is another airline that could get me to the right aiport on the right dates, and how much it would cost (try using kayak.com)

2) Assuming there is, if the cost is more than your continental ticket ask continental to transfer your reservation to this other airline or if the cost is less, ask continental to cancel your ticket WITHOUT PENALITES.

3) If continental is still your best bet, decide how much your out of pocket expenses are and ask for that as a refund. Now, I'm not saying you'll get it, but if you don't ask you won't know whether or not they will be flexible.

When you're considering the cost (point 2 above) don't forget to include any additional expenses that continental's new schedule has cause you to incur. E.G. If the CO ticket is $450 and airline B is $550, and airline B takes you on the days you want and to your preferred airport, if CO won't transfer your reservation, you'd still be better off cancelling the Co res (assuming no penalities) because you won't be having to pay $150 for the transfer to the resort.

Jennifer

maine
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

Well I ended up changing my tickets with Continental. The only other airline with that route is Delta and they were way more expensive. Now Continental is flying us into Newark a day ahead of time, then we have to spend the night there and catch a flight the next morning. At first they told me I would even have to pay for the hotel! She changed her mind after I explained the situation that I had no control over. But needless to say they were not very accomodating, actually they charged me another $6.00 because of taxes. Maybe I was not pushing enough, I just have a hard time getting mad at the person I'm talking to because I know it has nothing to do with her.

Thank you all for you suggestions, guess I'll just wait to see if a better flight opens up before September, she said I would be able to change for free, but don't know if I beleive that.

10. Re: flight cancellations, so aggravating!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 01, 2009