We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

I'm flying to Edinburgh in 2 days and I've just realised my Tripp cabin case is slightly over their allowed hand luggage dimensions. Its 55x40x20 and their allowed dimensions are 55x35x20. Does anyone know if I will get away with an extra 5cm or do they tend to check at boarding???

7 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,592 posts
1. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

you might , you might not get away with it, you might or might not have your back checked, have you got a plan if your bag is noted to be over-sized?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
24,054 posts
378 reviews
2. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

Who can say? As they operate smaller planes in their fleet such as the Dash 8 which I believe they use on this route, overhead cabin bins are slightly smaller in size. Best to have a plan B if you intend to sue it.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
174 reviews
3. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

As to whether they are strict or not is a bit irreverent , the bag is bigger than what they state for carry on. You might get away with it but might not .

No one can say for certain

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,947 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

Well I copped a fee of over £100 with them a few years back for being 5cm over. They made made check it and charged as excess baggage per kilo. (Entirely my own fault as I hadn’t read what their dimensions were)

I would not risk it.

At EDI, I frequently see them asking the people with wheeled trolley cases to put them in the sizer cages.

London
Level Contributor
927 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

If using this case is your only option then I’d hope for the best but plan for the worst. Make sure valuables are easily accessible to keep on your person if required to put the bag in the hold.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,649 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

hopefully they are very strict! the sizes are stated for a purpose and if there was no control, then there would be no need for them to make a ruling on size ! 5 cms is quite a bit oversize and it could cause a problem when trying to fit it in the overheads of a smaller aircraft.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
121 reviews
7. Re: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???

AmoMondo

Although unfortunate for you, your experience is good anecdotal evidence of why everyone should comply with the maximum dimensions and weight stated by the airline they've chosen to fly with. ;0)

Reply to: Help! How strict are flybe with hand luggage dimensions???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted