We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:10 am, September 04, 2018
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

As I see it, you decided to book a combined flight + hotel package, and then when you decided to cancel the hotel, you effectively cancelled the rest of your package.

I've not heard of this happening before, but it is very common that if you miss your outbound leg on a flight, the inbound leg is automatically cancelled, so perhaps the same logic applies here.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

You bought a package deal, air+hotel.

If the airfare you booked required hotel purchase and you cancelled the hotel, then you broke the agreement.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

Only Travelocity can answer this for you, but I agree with others - you booked a package, and by canceling the hotel you effectively broke your contract with Travelocity. Travelocity gave you a discounted price based on a particular combination of airfare+hotel. You don't get to dictate the terms in that case - canceling one piece effectively cancels the whole thing.

Looks like you outsmarted yourself - next time maybe read the terms a little more closely, or ask ahead of time "What happens if I ????"

-JimG

Canada
Level Contributor
9,803 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

You tried to save $ by pulling a fast one and it back fired on you. Read the TandC next time.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,951 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

Presumably because the flight and hotel were booked as a package and you cannot just cancel one element. If you cancelled direct with the hotel instead of with Travelocity they would inform Travelocity and Travelocity would then cancel the booking.

You don't get a breakdown of hotel and flight costs when you book so how would you go about getting a partial refund? Neither you nor the hotel know how much you paid.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

Agree that you did not abide by the T&C's of the fare you bought. You booked a flight +hotel package to get a discount and then canceled part of the package. Perhaps if you had just gone to the hotel, checked your parents in, and then checked your parents out ,even though they didn't stay there, they would have been fine. However, only Travelocity can explain the situation to you for sure - we all would just be guessing.

Guess trying to get a refund for an unused hotel room didn't work out too well did it? The refund probably was a lot less than the cost of 2 one-way tickets back to Mumbai.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,262 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

Your assumption is correct with that flight + hotel. You bought a package and I am pretty sure that if you read thru all the small letters in the terms and conditions about this package from Travelocity, you will discover something about not being able to cancel part of the package. That being said, I don't understand how the hotel property was able/willing to directly cancel with you and give you directly a partial refund of your package price. But if that is what happened, and the hotel property was happy to do that, once Travelocity got all caught up on what was happening, they were probably within their rights to cancel what they could cancel of the remaining flight schedule. The package you purchased had a 'bundled savings' and Travelocity sells those together. The packages I have quickly checked to confirm suspicions have the comment, "This hotel reservation is non-refundable and cannot be changed or canceled." Had you purchased the flight separately you likely would have paid more for the flight component. So you were basically attempting to beat the system which didn't work out so well for you.

Oh, and your thread title: Denied boarding is usually understood to mean for some reason not being allowed by the airline to board with a valid ticket. Your title should have read: Invalid return air ticket after hotel cancelation.

Edited: 10:32 am, August 10, 2018
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,361 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

IF you didn't want them to use the hotel it would have been better to just let them fly and NOT cancel anything. They just would not have gone to the hotel.

You are not entitled to money back since you bought a pkg with special pricing.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

I shake my head in amazement at the double whammy of trying to beat the system to save a few bucks then not understanding the risks. Sorry this happened to you but a good warning to others.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parents denied boarding after hotel cancellation

I like this one. :)

Hopefully the OP will come back to post again