We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ID requirements for domestic flights

7 posts
Save Topic
ID requirements for domestic flights

I'm sure this has been asked before but I find so many conflicting dates and answers on the internet and when I contacted the TSA they were not very clear and gave me their usual copy/paste answer. So I am hoping someone on here is kind enough to clarify things for me. I live in Georgia and am flying out of Atlanta at the end of the month for a 2 week vacation. I do not have a passport and my license is still the old non-REAL ID license. It does not expire till end if next year so I haven't bothered renewing it yet. The DMV tells me it takes 30 days to receive a new license in the mail so I can't get a REAL ID before my flight, and temporary (paper) ids are not accepted. SO now I'm a little worried I won't be able to get through the TSA checkpoint at the Atlanta airport. Some places I've checked out say January 2018 was the REAL ID enforcement date and some places say it got pushed back to October 2020, and one said October 2018. And all the TSA told me was a non expired ID from all states are acceptable. So I'm really hoping someone can help me out and let me know if I'll be fine traveling or if I have to figure out another means of transportation. Last thing I want is to arrive and the airport then be told I can't fly.

Thank you for your help

21 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,271 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

I have not heard that they are enforcing "Real ID " yet as many states don't have that set up for their residents. Use your driver's license.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

You must follow the Terms & Conditions of the airline your using

No ifs, buts or maybes allowed.

No more excuses

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,820 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

"You must follow the Terms & Conditions of the airline your using"

These are Federal Government requirements.. T&C's have nothing to do with them.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

You will be fine. As expected the TSA delayed the Real ID requirement (again)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

"temporary (paper) ids are not accepted"

By themselves they are not accepted, but in conjunction with other acceptable ID, they might be. Furthermore you do not need a Real ID to get through airport security, at ATL or any other airport.

TSA has only two charges - (1) determining that the person whose name on the boarding pass is actually the person who is presenting it, and (2) insuring that no prohibited items are taken though the security checkpoint. Regarding point (1), if you can establish your identity to the satisfaction of the agent on duty, then they will let you through. By far the easiest way to do this is via a government issued ID such as a passport or driver's license. That is by no means the only acceptable ID, and without it you may be required to show a combination of other IDs to satisfy the agent.

Your current driver's license will work fine.

-JimG

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
120 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

The Real ID requirement for TSA has been extended to October 1, 2020.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,610 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

I think it won't be required until 2020.

Level Contributor
1,467 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

Certain states but not all have a waiver for real id until 2020. Check if Georgia does. This might help. https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs

Edited: 2:00 pm, August 09, 2018
QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

My understanding is it is not required until 2020. One of our local TV stations did a story on this recently (extra long lines at DMV this summer( due to combination of (1) seasonal surge of people getting boat/trailer licenses and (2) people getting these special IDs).

New York is apparently last to adopt procedures for this, so there is now a flurry of activity. My lregular license expires mid 2020, and I was thinking of goingi n this fall and getting one of these special IDs if it would dgive me a new expiration date. I asked them this question and they said the new license would still expire on the old license expiration date (mid 2020), so didn't seem worth it to me, for a year and a half. You might want to check and see what your state's rule is.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ID requirements for domestic flights

I'm not sure what you mean about NY being last to adopt. A REAL ID is currently available in NY. Getting one now should get you a new expiry date, or you can also get the Enhanced DL,(EDL) which also is compliant with the federal regulations and already existed.

Not all states currently have or will implement a REAL ID. In these states, driver's licenses are already starting to be marked with "Federal Limits Apply" to (vaguely) indicate they will not be valid for travel purposes or entering federal facilities as of Oct. 1 2020.

@Martin, you're fine with that ID for domestic travel until Oct. 1, 2020

Reply to: ID requirements for domestic flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted