We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA Club World

UK
Level Contributor
352 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
BA Club World

Anyone with recent experience of BA Club World

Considering travelling BA Club from LHR to SFO and return from LAX to LHR in August

Many thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA Club World

Have you flown in J before? If not, then it's a wonderful treat, and worth it, even if you go one way in WT+ and the other in J.

By August you have about a 30-40% chance of getting on a flight that's had New Generation Club World fitted (AVOD is a huge plus [although it's fitted throughout the dusked planes] there), but if you're on a flight with current J fittings, you won't have a bad trip.

The crew can make a difference. I've had great crews on all of my flights in Club World - they've been kind, patient and just attentive enough to be pleasant but not obsequious.

You get a glass or two of champagne (Monopole, but it's bubbly) and/or fresh OJ before take off. Drinks come round with the meal menu, then you'll start meal service, while the IFE is going on. If you wish to eat later, it's usually not a problem, unless the cabin is chockablock. Newspapers are available - there's even an occasional Guardian (hurrah!) as well as The Indie, The Times, FT and a few Daily Mails (how'd they get there?).

The seats are very comfortable, and don't forget to raise or lower the footstool to complete the bed. Full size pillows and rather good duvets are waiting for you - on NGCW the seat arms sink into the sides of the seat, so the bed is even a bit wider, but I've not had problems with the bed as it is.

Prior to landing you'll get a light snack or afternoon tea westbound and breakkie (yum!) eastbound, but en route you're welcome to either Raid the Larder or visit the new Club Kitchen - if you're upstairs, the latter will be downstairs.

Speaking of upstairs, it's seriously great. Only 20 seats, so it's quiet and peaceful - my favourite cabin.

There are some brilliant fares right now for your itnerary - if you've got the cash and want to enjoy the trip, then go for it.

www.newclubworld.com

West Sussex, Great...
Level Contributor
174 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BA Club World

If you can afford it or have the miles, do it.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA Club World

look at www.airlinequality.com

brisbane
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA Club World

We had two very good flights Sydney London and return in May/June, last year on what will now be referred to as OLD generation Club World. Very comfortable and good, understated service.

Be aware that seats face fore and aft except for pairs of side by side backwards facing seats on the main deck of 747, and on 777s. I don't know if this will apply to the new generation CLUB as i can't find a seat plan.

The seats are not as wide as some, (they have 8 across, Qantas has seven) but they do form a flat bed with the footstool down, making it very easy to sleep.

The showers on arrival at LHR and the use of the lounges also made the overall experience very pleasant

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA Club World

Seats in NGCW are in the yin-yang position, same as in NCW. Seats in the older J cabins have a heavy paper fan between them, which folds back in case you're travelling with someone and want to carry on a conversation. All the seats upstairs are yin-yang, whereas in the downstairs cabin the two centre (EF) seats (seating is AB DEFG JK) downstairs) face the same direction and the D and G seats will face the oppo direction.

NGCW seats have a sliding glass panel between them. From reports I've read at FlyerTalk the panel needs to be operated from the top, and is a bit sticky as well as noisy when it moves. The partition panels are made of Lumisty (www.glassfilmententerprises.com/lumisty.htm) which does seem rather nifty.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA Club World

i would give the airline a call and ask all your questions, that you have that are specific.

7. Re: BA Club World

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 31, 2009