We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you experienced any near misses?

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Have you experienced any near misses?

We were on a morning BA flight December 28, 2006 from Heathrow to Rome. Over the Italian Alps I was looking out the window and saw a plane rapidly approaching from the right. I swear that it was no more than 50 feet below us as it passed directly under us, but more like the distance a parked plane on the tarmac is from an airport window. I was sure the top of it's tail would hit the underbelly of our plane. I also expected turbulence as it passed but there was none. Of course with the speed of planes it was maybe a 5 second experience. The teenaged young man sitting next to me at the window looked at me in awe and said, "that was a plane!" but of course my sleeping husband didn't see it. I've checked on the internet but there is no mention of a near miss. I'm just wondering since the tail of that plane passed under the tail of our plane and maybe one or both planes were on autopilot, if the pilots may have missed it totally or why it wouldn't the story be out there. Or is it that every near miss doesn't make the news?

Please don't think I'm a flake! I've flown many thousands of miles.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Have you experienced any near misses?

Like WV says you have no physical reference point to judge against.

Try this on the coast and try to guess how far out that swimmer or boat is.

If there was no evasive action, and boy you would have felt that, then there was no need for it hence no airmiss incident.

You say " If I had looked in the windows of the cockpit I know I should have been able to seen the pilots. That's not 1,000 feet."

With respect, you didn't , probably because you couldn't. We are talking of 300 yards of vertical separation.

Next time you are over London Terminal Area on a clear night have a look at all the aircraft lights you can see.

Relax you are good hands!

Ajijic, Mexico
Level Contributor
184 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Have you experienced any near misses?

Yes, marysmith1, you're right. When you know something about aviation, you know when something is amiss. I used to have my pilot's license and once or twice, there have been problems on commercial aircraft where I have been white knuckled and other passengers totally oblivious. You also know when the landing is going to be a good one.....or not!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Have you experienced any near misses?

re: that photo (amazing as it is!)....remind me never to go to San Fran...and if I suggest it, please slap me. HARD!

24. Re: Have you experienced any near misses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:23 am, September 01, 2009