We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name changes on tickets

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
8,115 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Name changes on tickets

Hi

My son worked for a time for Crystal holidays as a kind of locum tennis coach. If a coach fell ill on a tennis holiday then they flew him to the resort to take over for the week or so.

The first time he went we got to the airport to pick up the tickets and saw his name was printed wrongly, so they changed it and issued new tickets, 30 seconds work, in doing so they had made another mistake so he told them and again it was sorted in 30 seconds. As an employee he did not have to pay.

My point is that changing the names on tickets is not difficult, I think the airlines use 9/11 and increased airport security to make a quick buck. Just as they do with the liquids rule, they charge the earth for a drink airside and make a very good living out of it.

I do understand about security having to be tight but to overcharge passengers at every opportunity seems to be totally unethical. If someone turns up at an airport with a passport and tickets with only a letter or two transposed or wrongly typed then to charge them £50 or more for the change is extortion, the banks have been told to stop evercharging it's time the airlines got the same message.

Jackie

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Name changes on tickets

SM.

WV is right. Your Agent is a "Donkey". (I had actually put the "A" word in all innocence but TA said it was a profanity!! OK It wuz the crittur Jesus rode! )

Passport Jane Sports-Mum?

Not clear in your post what your ticket says:-

Jane Sportsmum or just Jane Sports? The latter could be a problem. Is it the same with other family members or you out on a limb?

Like you say. Take your Drivers Licence (Hunting Licence) with you.

Mrs M ( A Scot) got challenged this last trip with the variation of Mc, Mac, & MacK. She hit 'em with her Pension book (oops! sorry,) Driving Licence. No problems.

Nannup, Australia
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Name changes on tickets

Sports Mum,

The others are correct - airline booking computers do not accept hyphens in names. In the system I worked with the hyphen (or dash) was computer code to link names to other information such as frequent flyer numbers and special meal requests. Check with the airline reservation staff if you are in doubt.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Name changes on tickets

The last names are all the same. The first name has the hyphen that hasn't been used in 40 years. Ticket has beautiful L instead of beautiful-lady. :O)

I think that insead of $250 for the ticket change I can get away with a $50 bribe here and there and save some cash!

The travel agent (consolidator) named Kenya airlines as the airline that would have a problem with it. I emailed them about it and they didn't really give a clear answer in response. I thought it best then not to bring attention to myself!!

Thanks all for the reassurance. I will let you know how it works out on the different airline carriers so others will know for the future.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,611 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Name changes on tickets

Maybe a bit of White-Out for the hyphen in the passport?? :-)

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Name changes on tickets

When the agent told me $250 I did tell her it would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to change the passport!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Name changes on tickets

S-M. Tell them " L for Leather!"

by coincidence the tickets I referred to above on 25th were with Kenyan too and both Mrs M and my two first names are run together and we don't even have a hyphen between us . I feel deprived.

Seriously you will be fine and anyway are flying before me!

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Name changes on tickets

Thanks...............??????????

18. Re: Name changes on tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 pm, August 30, 2009