We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frustration with Air Canada

Nova Scotia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Frustration with Air Canada

First, I will clarify that this is not critical of the airplanes, amenities or in flight personnel. I have not ever had a bad exerience with those aspects of an Air Canada flight.

Our frustration deals with those behind the scenes who look after reservations and baggage claims.

First, if you have passengers who are confined to a departure lounge for 10 hours because they have pre-cleared US customs, you should send an agent to explain the delays and help those passengers arrange alternate connections or flights. If several US airlines can have their representatives there to help passengers in a Canadian city, shouldn't you also?

Second, you should keep your air crew informed of what is going on. The passengers with cell phones were providing delay updates to the flight crew waiting in the same area.

Third, when you cancel those peoples flights after 10 hours, you shouldn't cancel everyone's return tickets, especially when they have made alternate arrangements through Air Canada.

Fourth, when you receive a claim for lost baggage, you shouldn't keep the person on the telephone for 45 minutes repeating the same questions.

Fifth, you shouldn't lose record of such a claim being made.

Sixth, when you discover your errors, you shouldn't blame every other airline, when the flights were booked through your airline.

Seventh, please don't tell me I haven't left Canada when I call you from South Carolina after having flown Air Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

Although it's been a while since I flew with AC, I think your points are valid, and could apply to other airlines.

Pax need information - even if it's bad news - and some idea that the airline knows what the next step in the process will be, whether a flight is delayed or cancelled. If a decision hasn't been made after X hours, tell the pax - it's better than sitting in a departures lounge and not knowing what will happen next.

Poor communication is a thread that runs through a number of complaints about low cost carriers - but it shouldn't be a concern for those who fly with a full service carrier. AC - take note!

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
439 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

and I thought it was just me! Flight to LA via Toronto, left 4 hours late due to technical issues and yet had landed 3 or 4 hours before it was due to take off and still couldn't get part in time. (nearly forgot couldn't hear the in flight entertainmet as sytem at my seat didn't work)This meant missed connection in Toronto and rebooking, 50/ 60 people trying to rebook flights with only two counters open, one of which the computer kept failing. Delayed even more out of Toronto. Flight back also delayed out of Toronto due to technical problem. What sort of Airlinr is this?

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

Very old joke.............

Air Canada's motto:

We're not happy til you're not happy.

cameron park...
Level Contributor
186 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

ohhhh nooooooooo.....I have booked myself, husband and two kids on AC to fly from San Fran to Toronto, then Toronto to Rome. I am getting scared now! Can you tell me what a Pax is, please? And how about the flight itself...food, free or do you pay, drinks, entertainment, etc.? Any tips are much appreciated.

Banff, Canada
Level Contributor
533 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

Don't worry too much. Like all airlines and staff- if you are pleasant to them they will respond in kind.

I don't know what Pax is.

You're ticket should say whether meals are offered or whether it's offered for money. Short trips are usually snacks for a cost and don't rely on it. Many times airlines will be out of stock. We now bring our own- getting it at the airport and taking it on board. The only trouble I have had is with pop/soda. I have had that taken and had to rebuy once I have been through security.

One funny security fellow told me he would usually have to take a half eaten/open chocolate bar but since he had a wife at home he knew enough not to even try that!

Alcohol is not free.

All airlines have their quirks. It's too bad the start and end of a fun holiday has to hold this worry.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Frustration with Air Canada

Sports-mum,

A "Pax" is airline shorthand for passenger. 1 pax, 2 pax etc.,

Back again to the front.