We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

busy skies ahead

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
busy skies ahead

I think that it's going to be a VERY busy summer travel season this year.

Yesterday, I flew from Chicago to London at 9:10AM via American Airlines, the aircraft was a 777 and the flight was oversold. There were 51 people on the standby list. Some were given seats on an 8:15PM flight last night, but a good many were going to have to wait a day or two. American said that there were really no seats available until Tuesday! Seems the travel season has started early this year!

Since the flight was packed, I wondered how the service on board would be, I shouldn't have worried, it was excellent!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: busy skies ahead

Yikes.

It's only mid-April, and things are building already? gabby, I think you're right on this one, it's going to be a busy summer .... and shoulder season.

With your flight departing ORD at 0910, what time did you arrive for checkin - and did you use OLCI?

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: busy skies ahead

Wow, 51 people on STBY in April! I have only been asked to fly on a later flight due to overbooking, but that was in August to the US.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: busy skies ahead

Don't forget though, this is the end of easter school holiday in England. Combine that with some major weather in various parts of the country, and it's not an entirely surprising situation.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: busy skies ahead

gabby - many airports were closed this past w/e due to the massive storm on the east coast. it was also the start of high school spring break so i am sure that this added to an already over burdened air system. you're probably lucky to have gotten out of chicago on time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: busy skies ahead

Everything was on time with no delays/cancellations at O'hare on Sunday morning, the storms hadn't reached the east coast yet to have an impact on air travel.

Travellerplus, I checked in at 4:45AM! I had to first fly from Indianapolis to Chicago and they no longer have a 7AM flight there, now it's at 6AM so I had 3 hours in O'Hare, oh joy!!

They asked for 8 people to consider taking a later flight and accepting $800 in travel vouchers and said there were no black out dates or restrictions on those vouchers. I would have been tempted, but not this time since we are moving out of London on Thursday, I had to get here to get things ready for the move. Lucky me, two moves in one week's time!

I was chatting with an American employee, it's going to be a busy summer they think, good for the airline industry, not so good for the fliers. One little hiccup and there could be huge problems in rescheduling!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: busy skies ahead

The compensation of $800 was too low unless they were offering an upgrade as part of the deal. You did right to refuse. Keep the pressure on them!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: busy skies ahead

I wasn't putting pressure on them, I would have had to refuse no matter what they might have offered. Maybe another time I will be able to take advantage. With the dollar crumbling against the £, I'm sure flights to/from the UK from the US will be very full this summer!

8. Re: busy skies ahead

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, August 30, 2009