We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage

if two people are travelling can they put all thier stuff in one case or do you have to take one each?

any help please

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage

It should be okay, my parents have done this many times. However, you may not be able to satisfy the required answer to the question "did anyone ask you to carry anything else for you".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage

Sorry I meant "did anyone ask you to carry anything for them", one of the questions thay ask at check in.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage

ha hadnt thought of that one...and did you pack this yourself....my husband never packs his own bags....

thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage

Well if it's your husband I'm sure it will be fine. I thought you were talking about a friend or something. You could always call the airline and double check.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage

I think i will do that better safe than sorry, with all the security changes we have had recently and baggage rule changes I dont know what I am doing....most important PASSPORTS AND CASH!!!!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,402 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage

It depends on the airline.

Airlines like Ryanair that make you pay for each checked bag do not allow you to share your allowance (which is only 15kg per person). So you can't put 20kg in one bag. This way they get an extra bag charge (or excess baggage charges) out of you.

With most other airlines, it will be fine. There is usually a maximum of 32kg per bag for health and safety reasons.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage

Why would you do this? Each airline has a maximum weight per bag. They don't want to weigh down the plane and they don't want to break union rules for the baggage handlers. It's also easier for you to lift/carry two medium-weight bags than one whopper.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage

There's another reason to think twice about this. When I travel with DH we makes sure there are clothes for each of us in each bag. Then if one bag goes astray, we at least have some of our stuff.

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Pecs, Budapest
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage

I believe that you probably can do this as long as the one bag does not exceed the baggage allowance for one person. (or the weight, etc for the bag.)

However, if it does, I suspect that you have a problem.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage

HI

Many times I have used 1 bag for two people if it is a short trip and you don't need that much why take two when 1 will do..

I have put 1 bag inside an empty bag when I travel internationaly so I have another bag to carry back everything i bought LOL

but I would never try and cram two peoples clothes on a long trip into 1 large bag.