We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book flights?

Washington, Ga
Level Contributor
39 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book flights?

I will be flying from Atlanta to Roma in late October. Will I get a better fare booking early or do the prices lower at any time for whatever reason?

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book flights?

Hi

Usually the prices are as low as they are going to go 2 to 3 months before flight .

once they start going back up they can jump up fast..

the advantage of booking months early is peace of mind and to get the seats you want and the times you want to fly.

the longer you wait the less options you have with discount fares..

on each flight the airline only has so many discount seats when they are gone you have to pay more for remainder of the seats.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,240 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book flights?

Hey ,at least you are lucky being on the east coast. Ihave been watching fares to Italy as well. I use www.kayak.com to com pare the fares of many airlines on one site. I have been watching for about 3 weeks now in preparation for a flight in Oct.

Most of the airlines are busy now with their spring and summer sales.

Iberia was the first a few days ago to mention a fall sale and just today British Airlines and a few others began to match it so I would watch awhile BUT if a price seems good to you then jump on it.

I looked at www.farecompare.com which tracks prices in different months and they said from the east coast(Iput in DC) to Rome a good price in Oct /Nov would be about$500-600total roundtrip.

From the west coast I will just be happy if it gets below $1000.

World Traveler if you read this,I missed the flycheap bargain we were talking about. It just disappeared from the screen after you answered my questions.Oh well it was only for 8days and I want to spend at least 10.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book flights?

As others have said, it's likely that there will be reduced fares for travel after September - but those fares won't be posted for a while yet.

If you have a preferred airline, or want to choose an airline with which to develop a frequent flyer habit, it may be worthwhile to sign up for email notices from the airline - often sale fares are released to customers who've shown an interest in an airline before going to the general public.

In the past, sale fares for fall travel usually start to appear in July or August - so keep a look out. You may find a better deal by booking two tickets - say ATL to London then London to Rome, if there are offers on for those sectors.

4. Re: Best time to book flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:26 am, August 29, 2009