We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

Today was due to see the last ever passenger flight on a 747 from the US by a US carrier, Delta's DTW-ICN flight DL159. But, it was canceled because one of the pilots no showed.

You'd have thought that Delta would have taken special care to ensure this momentous flight ran as scheduled, especially as many passengers would have booked solely because of the occasion. But unlike United they don't seem to care much for the 747, and certainly don't care much for Boeing at the moment. The flight is now rescheduled for tomorrow and will return after a quick turnaround at ICN, so the last ever 747 flight by a US airline will still run, though late.

…boardingarea.com/2017/12/17/pilot-no-shows-…

7 replies to this topic
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

Wonder if no show was related to the massive outage at Atlanta?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,614 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

The message is that the pilot called in sick. But even so you'd have thought that they'd have a reserve pilot, and even if it was due to the situation at ATL that they'd have the crew up at DTW the night before.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,428 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

That is a shame, USBusinessTraveller. It is a lovely aircraft :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

"But unlike United they don't seem to care much for the 747."

Probably true. All Delta 747s were inherited from Northwest in the merger. Delta never really had a history with a 747 fleet of its own like United's. They did have five of their own in the earliest days of 747, but quickly decided they were too big and sold them all by the mid 70's. So in some ways this is the second 747 retirement for Delta.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

All of the majors are moving them from service due to expense to operate long distances. Most majors have been re-training pilots for other A/C. I've only flown a few 74's and only 2X up top.

This is a holiday period and those pilots w/seniority aren't available. If an airline offers 1 1/2 X it's not attractive if they already had plans, travel, etc

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,181 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

This is a shame.

As mentioned, the 747 was a big part of UA history, and they have been doing all sorts of things: contests, special booklets, even new containers for Polaris amenities, commemorating the passing of a wonderful ship, and a big part of their fleet.

With DL, it seemed to be an “oh well... “

As mentioned, if I had booked, just to fly that bird, I would be miffed.

If things had worked out schedule-wise, we’d likely have flown that last UA flight to HNL, but could not. Also, we were probably a bit less motivated, as we have been doing a few 747 flights, and two, that plane’s last flight for UA. Still, if planned for the retirement, I would not be pleased.

Thanks for the update.

Hunt

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
9,361 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage

Thank you Brian C for explaining Delta's 747s came from Northwest, as I didn't know they even had any.( Maybe they didn't have a reserve pilot because so few of their pilots fly them.) I wonder if this flight is going to in any way acknowledge Northwest and its long history in Asia.

Reply to: Last 747 flight by US carrier canceled due to pilot shortage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted