We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

I'm travelling to the USA (New York) on Saturday. My wife and daughter left last week on the same flight from Australia with Cathay Pacific. They were almost refused boarding because the address given on the Esta form was not the same as that used on Cathay forms when checking in for the flight. The hotel had changed since filling in the Esta. It shouldn't matter from what I have read but Cathay were adamant. I have the same problem. My valid Esta shows an address from a previous trip to Palm Springs and uses the PS hotel as a contact in the US as well. I am travelling with my other daughter who has the correct details on her shiny new Esta. I can update the address on my Esta website but not the contact. Should this be an issue?

7 replies to this topic
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
18,881 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

Once your ESTA is approved there is no need to change anything on it at all! I have travelled to the USA on ESTAs for many years, often three times a year and have never updated any information. It is simply not necessary. It even tells you this on the application form!

Edited: 5:01 am, December 13, 2017
London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

You have two separate scenarios here.

Your wife and daughter applied for new ESTAs specifically for this visit and gave a hotel address, but subsequently changed hotel and gave a different address to the airline. I can see why Cathay Pacific might have queried the discrepancy.

You on the other hand are using an ESTA which was issued for a previous visit, but remains valid for 2 years (if you haven't changed your passport of course). Therefore there would be no reason to query why you are staying at a different location this time round.

Edited: 5:03 am, December 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

Thanks for replies. Yes Traveller the rules are clear but Cathay seems to have their own interpretation. They make you fill out the same info on their check in form and if it doesn't match they get antsy. Wirewiper- No passports have been changed. But if I check in with things as they currently stand my daughter and I will have different hotel and contact details. If I update my hotel on my Esta the contact details wont match the hotel. Tricky. Not sure which argument to have with them.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,138 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

First time I have heard about this. The airline is not the arbitrator or gate checker of such things Perhaps unwritten rules have changed

You can print info from the ESTA official site and show it to them that they are wrong

Edited: 8:38 am, December 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

Thanks Belomiser . I made sure the wife was equipped with the print outs as well. They held no weight with the agent unfortunately. Not sure if they struck someone who was inexperienced or if its part of a wider policy handed down from Cathay or elsewhere. I just don't want to deal with it at the check in counter at midnight.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,548 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

Post 1 provides all the info that I knew about.

I also travel to the USA a few times most years, and never update my ESTA, and have never had the hotel discrepancy mentioned.

As said, the only possibilities are a recent change that nobody else has yet mentioned, or some arcane or wrongly applied CX interpretation of the rules.

As I do not fly CX between home and USA, for obvious reasons, I cannot comment on CX any further in relation to this. If you wish more opinions on this issue or find out if anybody else has experienced similar, perhaps post on the Hong Kong forum simply because more users of that airline will watch that forum than this one, and some may well travel to the USA with some regularity.

If the official print outs hold no sway, I don't have another suggestions.

SWT

Edited: 11:50 am, December 13, 2017
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,680 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact

As far as I know, the airline never particularly cares about the address on the ESTA--unless things have changed recently due to continuous tightening of immigration regulations. Overall, I think that particular CX ground staff was just misinformed.

Reply to: Cathay Pacific - Esta requirement-Address, contact
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted