We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air asia - hand luggage

derby
Level Contributor
639 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
air asia - hand luggage

Hi All

got a few air asia trips coming up and our cabin baggage is 4cm wider ie 40cm but other measurements are less - they say 56cm x 36cm x 23cm - the 36cm on ours is 40cm - I am sure we took same cases last year Air asia and no issues just wondered what others thought - thanks

6 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,219 posts
1,742 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air asia - hand luggage

If a case will fit into a size, one should be fine. If not, we’ll then keep the credit card handy.

If a sizer is not used, but instead a tape measure, who know?

Personally, I insure that my luggage is within the stated sizes, and that has worked 100%.

Good luck,

Hunt

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,706 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air asia - hand luggage

If they ask you to put your bag into the sizer, and it doesn’t fit, it will be taken away to the hold and you won’t see it again until the baggage carousel. I’ve never been asked to size mine, but I have watched others going through the procedure. Same with weight - you do see people sitting on the floor having to unload items from their carry on bags when they’ve exceeded the weight allowance. It all depends on the Air Asia staff you encounter.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,367 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: air asia - hand luggage

Isn't there already a thread well over 200 posts long? Why do we need another one??

For the record if you used the same luggage why would it suddenly not work? Have they changed their rules since you flew? No? Apparently not? You know the rules, you know the risk. What does this thread change?

Absolutely nothing.

Also for the record the last 4 flights I've taken with AirAsia and AirAsiaX they have not checked weight or size of my carry-ons, but doesn't mean they won't check the next time...

Edited: 8:05 pm, December 12, 2017
newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air asia - hand luggage

Basically the OP is gambling on whether the airline staff they meet on the day will notice their carry-on luggage is too big or not.

It doesn't matter what has happened in the past or what has happened with other people. Each time, it is a new gamble

Advice is to always make sure your baggage meets the weight & size restrictions as specified by the airline.

You cannot complain if you knowingly try to take a bag on board that is too big or too heavy

derby
Level Contributor
639 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air asia - hand luggage

thanks all ! :) appreciate the replies

Jayne well aware its a gamble - simply asking for others experience - thanks for the input :)

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,706 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air asia - hand luggage

If you would like to read 231 comments on this, including the latest from only a couple of days ago, read https://www.tripadvisor.com.my/ShowTopic-g1-…

Reply to: air asia - hand luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted