We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with first time intercontinental flight

Schalkhaar, The...
6 posts
Save Topic
Help with first time intercontinental flight

Ok so 22 december I will be flying from Amsterdam to Melbourne, with 2 stops in China (Chengdu and Guangzhou). As this is my first time flying outside of Europe, with a number of stops in China, I am uncertain about a number of issues:

1. Will my bagage be labelled to Melbourne, or will I have to pick it up in China and re-check my bagage? If so, how does this work? Will I need to go through customs again after picking and checking in my bagage in China? And will I be able to do this within 2 hours, because my connecting flight leaves 2 hours after my flight is schedules to arrive.

2. How does the 24h TWOV work in China? Cause if I will be out of China within 24h, it says I don't need a visa. Does that mean that I don't even have to apply for one at the airport at the moment of arrival?

I'd love to hear your feedback, cause I am new to solo air travel is this is all quite intriguing.

8 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
10,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

Which airline(s) are you flying with and did you book via the airline or a third party? Is it booked as one booking reference or more?

Schalkhaar, The...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

I am flying with China Southern Airlines, although the first leg (Amsterdam-Chengdu) is operated by KLM. All flights are booked as one booking reference and I booked it via a third party.

Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

I find it quite intriguing as well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

1. The flight from Amsterdam to Chengdu will land at Terminal 1, and the flight from Chengdu to Guangzhou will depart from Terminal 2. You will need to clear the border control, collect the baggage and clear the customs inspection, bring them to Terminal 2 and drop it at China Southern Airlines counter.

2. You do not need the visa if the duration from the scheduled arrival time of the flight from Amsterdam to the scheduled departure time of the flight to Melbourne is less than 24 hours, and the policy allows the multiple stops in China. You can give a call to the Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,381 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

Our experience flying with China Southern has been that they are quite efficient in a characterless sort of way. If the time is really tight they meet you at the plane door and you get a golf cart ride. Otherwise there will be a sign up with your name on it and instructions as what to do.

Schalkhaar, The...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

Ok thanks for the answers! So if I understand correctly, I will have to pick up my checked bagage in Chengdu, even though all my flights are with the same airline? Will I only have to do this in Chengdu or also in Guanghzou?

And then this layover process is pretty vague to me. So step by step it is: 1. Leave plane, 2. Clear passport control/border control, 3. Pick up bagage from the conveyor belt, 4. Check in bagage at the CSA counter, 5. Go back to the terminals via security, 6. Find gate. Is this right or do I miss a step?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,221 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

You don't need to memorize all the instructions. There will be plenty of airport employees to point you in the right direction if you aren't sure, so just ask when you are there.

And you won't be alone. <<Leave plane; clear passport control...>> Yes, along with the 200 other people on your flight. You'll see signs pointing to baggage reclaim (or words to that effect). Just go with the flow and you'll be fine.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with first time intercontinental flight

In Chengdu:

1. Leave plane; 2. Clear passport control/border control; 3. Pick up baggage from the conveyor belt; 4. Clear customs; 5. Check in baggage at the CSA counter in Terminal 1; 6. Take the shuttle to Terminal 2; 7. Security check, 8. Find gate.

-------------------

In Guangzhou:

1. Leave plane; 2. Follow the signs to the international departure hall; 3. Clear customs; 4. Security check; 5. Clear passport control/border control; 6. Find gate.

Reply to: Help with first time intercontinental flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted