We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

3 posts
1 review
Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Can anyone give me a rough idea on cost to upgrade at airport from economy to Delta One, flying from London Heathrow to Orlando.

Also do you think there will be any last minute price reductions to purchase a ticket if there are still 21 upper class seat still available? Annoyingly, looked at booking a ticket three weeks ago and now it has gone up by £1000!

TIA

8 replies to this topic
Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
105 reviews
1. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

You *might* be offered a deal at checkin but don't count on it. The cost goes up closer to departure time. Walk up to change at the gate and you would likely pay the difference between what you paid and full fare.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,725 posts
49 reviews
2. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Since DL don't fly LHR-MCO I assume you're connecting somewhere. Upper Class is a Virgin product and Delta One is obviously a DL product. So what is your actual itinerary. Are you booked on DL flight numbers all the way through? Who did you book with? All these things will make a difference.

3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Yes booked directly with Delta, was originally on a VS flight from lhr to JFK return but flight changes and now on DL flight numbers on all legs, still connecting at JFK.

I'm only really bothered about the upgrade for LHR to JFK JFK to LHR leg.

Also just logged on to their website to find another flight change and only have a 30min changeover time on the return, so will need to change the flight. Am able to cancel the current ticket, which is why I wondered if there will be any last minute sales!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,699 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

I honestly can't see this happening with DL short of you buying a new ticket. I'm a Delta Platinum flier and do four or five trans-Atlantic flights a year. Never once in 10 years with Delta have I been offered or been able to purchase an upgrade. Delta is extremely tight on international upgrades. So I would not count on it happening.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
471 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Agree with TumbleweedandCactus.

And would also add that there are usually a number of Diamond medallions in the wings who've registered their global upgrade certificates towards the flight, especially on heavily traveled business routes.

You won't see just how many until check in, when the upgrade and standby lists become visible. So what looks like a lot of availability now can get filled up in no time.

Good luck just the same.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,765 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Availability can't be judged by looking at seat maps, they only show how many seats have been requested at that point in time, not how many have been actually sold. And with a product like Delta One, there really aren't any bad seats, so no pressing need to select your seat many months out.

And like TumbleweedandCactus, I fly long hauls frequently and can not recall them offering upgrades for sale at check in or the gate.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,917 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Delta is the airline that's so good it generally doesn't do upgrades. Enough people pay for Delta One, or there are elite frequent fliers (who've already spent at least $15,000 a year) that get upgrades using instruments. Then there's folk who'll use frequent flier miles to upgrade.

If you can cancel the ticket for a refund (think very carefully before doing so) the airline with the best chance of a paid upgrade is United. But, even on UA you'll be behind their frequent flier elites (aka me) and the chances are much slimmer than a few years ago. The only thing going for UA is that it has more J seats (though aside from the small number of Polaris planes they're inferior to DL).

Personally if I were you I'd save money and "slum it" in economy. Delta has the best economy cabin on TATL flights anyway so you should be fine.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
43 posts
8. Re: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?

Delta has offered me an upgrade to D1 in advance when I checked my flights. It was around $1500 each way. They will not offer cheap upgrades at the airport or have last-minute sales on business class seats.

So I would check my reservation and see what you get offered That is probably the best offer you will get

Edited: 5:09 pm, December 11, 2017
Reply to: Idea cost of upgrade at airport with Delta & last min sales?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted