We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways & American Airline Flight

uk
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways & American Airline Flight

Hi

I have a flight booked for Xmas Day; UK to Chicago which is BA/AA (economy) and I'm confused over hand luggage allowance - I don't want to get to the airport and find out there's and issue so I was wondering if anyone share their knowledge/help.

All help would be very much appreciated

Many Thanx

Vicky

8 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,889 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

Is BA operating your flight? If so, their limits apply. Just Google 'ba handluggage allowance' or check their website.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

Who are u actually flying with? BA metal or AA metal? Regardless of with whom you booked with, who is operating your flight or flights? Once you know that just google the 'airline name' carry-on or hand baggage. If you're flying on both due to a connection and their carry on policies differ then usually you have to comply with the most limiting of the two.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

The hand baggage allowance is always that of the operating carrier so check with either BA or AA depending on who is operating your flight - your post doesn't make it clear whether your flight is with BA or AA.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

If you have booked this through BA, the luggage allowances for each leg of the flight will be stated on your ticket receipt.

uk
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

Thanx to those who replied; I'm still not sure on allowances, our flight No's are BA but the outbound flight is operated by AA & our inbound flight is operated by BA.

When I look on both AA/BA websites:

AA website it gives dimensions for hand luggage but NO actual weight.

BA website it says dimensions and 1x handbag/laptop bag 23kg plus 1x additional cabin bag 23kg.

How and where can I find out AA weight allowances for hand luggage?

Does this mean that I fly out with AA allowances and fly back with BA allowances or AA allowances both outbound/inbound?

Many Thanx

Vicky

Edited: 2:24 pm, December 10, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,657 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

How and where can I find out AA weight allowances for hand luggage? - AA do not have a weight limit, it's just a size limit.

Does this mean that I fly out with AA allowances and fly back with BA allowances or AA allowances both outbound/inbound? - On the outbound you'll have to stick to the AA size limit and on the return you'll have to comply with the BA size/weight limit.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,083 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

Major US carriers have size restrictions but no weight restrictions on carry ons.

uk
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways & American Airline Flight

Thanx Tom & Belomiser for your replies; much appreciated and helpful.

Regards

Vicky

Reply to: British Airways & American Airline Flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted