We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airtours/Mytravel Premiair

liverpool
Level Contributor
211 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Airtours/Mytravel Premiair

I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences/comments on airtours flights and paying the supplement to be upgraded to premiar. I am thinking of doing this next year when I fly to las vegas (mainly as they fly directly from manchester and they are more reasonable than BMI). I have travelled with thomson in their premium seats and am due to fly with virigin in premium economy and wondered how they compared?

Thanks in advance

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
952 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airtours/Mytravel Premiair

Hi, we flew with Mytravel premair to Cancun in December from Manchester. The check-in experience was very good - the seats are all allocated the day before though, so if you're not happy with the allocated seat there is little chance of changing. We were boarded first and offered juice or water once on board. The aircraft was a 767 which was fairly shabby inside. The leather seats were comfortable and had good leg room with a pillow and a small quilt, which was better than the usual blanket. The in flight entertainment was awful though - we had to watch a screen high up in the ceiling, which was not easily viewed from my window seat. It was the same programme as the main cabin and the sound was terrible so I gave up after half a film and read a book! The cabin crew were very abrupt and unfriendly and our cottage pie with mini roll, cheap spreading cheese and crackers were thrown at us from behind! Mind landed on my book which I was reading! They were not too happy about giving out drinks - even though we weren't drinking alcohol due to the long flight duration. It was like getting blood out of a stone! Luckily we both had a bottle of water which was bought after security. Inbound the aircraft was a 330 which was more comfortable and had seat back IFE. The crew were much happier and we even had a few smiles, but the cheap cottage pie meal was the same as outbound. I have recently flown premium economy with Virgin from Heathrow to Newark and MyTravel aren't a patch on them - pre flight champagne or water, a bottle of water in the seat pocket, a very comfy seat, choice of 3 meals, excellent attitude from crew, fruit and ice cream service, really good films on the seat back entertainment - just altogether more professional.

I wouldn't book MyTravel premiair again - I would just go for the extra leg room seats as I didn't feel that there was any other benefit from the extra cost. My sister in law recently flew with BMI from Manchester to Barbados and rated then very highly, so it may be worth the extra cost!

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,542 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airtours/Mytravel Premiair

It depends on the aircraft. It sounds like the previous poster was on a leased-in 767. Usually MyTravel flies A330s on this route, which have seatback TVs in both classes.

I agree though that extra legroom is the way to go. I used to always upgrade to Premiair on frequent trips between the UK and Canada, but since about 2003 what you get for your money has deteriorated to the extent that I don't even use MyTravel anymore.

Your money will buy you the same service you would get in economy on a scheduled airline, a slightly wider seat, and less extra legroom than you would get in an extra legroom seat in economy.

3. Re: Airtours/Mytravel Premiair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:25 am, August 29, 2009