We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unassigned seats on United flight

Warminster...
2 posts
Save Topic
Unassigned seats on United flight

On our return United flight from Jamaica to Philly we don't have assigned seating. I refuse to pay extra for the seats - this seems to be the only way to get assigned seating ahead of departure. I am traveling with a 7 year old boy. If I don't purchase these premium tickets ahead of time does it mean that they place me on those seats anyway (as they seem to be the only seats available) and will I be able to seat next to my child?

Thank you!

38 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,715 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

Not all the seats shown as taken (on the seat map) are actually taken. United (and all airlines) block several seats and open them up at online check in 24 hours before departure. They'll also hold back some for airport check in. So in all likelihood you will be seated together. In some cases where the regular economy (E-) section is full, passengers are placed into E+ (without having to pay) but that is only if/when seat assignments go to the wire.

Edited: 4:40 pm, December 04, 2017
Warminster...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

Thank you very much!!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

If you want to sit with the 7 year old child book early enough to book two seats together or pay for the seats. If by chance the two seats assigned at the airport are in separate locations are you simply going to complain?

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

You might try phoning United, and explain the situation. Perhaps they would be able to assign your seats.

Level Contributor
1,466 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

Make sure you check in online as soon as online check-in opens. That will maximize your chances of getting seats together

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

No he does not complain, but if the airlines employees can't make it happen, ask politely the persons around your seats and see if human goodwill and decency would prevail. I would take the "lesser" seats like adjacent middle seats or back of plane to entice people though. However, call airlines now if you haven't and see if they can assign you ones which they are holding back. They are supposed to seat families with children <12 yo together with at least one older than 12.

Edited: 5:08 pm, December 04, 2017
Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

Actually its concerning kids <13 yo.

"Perhaps the most troubling item for airlines, in terms of new regulation, is a rule that directs the transportation secretary to establish a policy to allow children under age 13 “to be seated in a seat adjacent to the seat of an accompanying family member over the age of 13” at no additional cost. There is an exception for when such a seat assignment would require an upgrade to another cabin class or a seat with extra legroom or seat pitch, for which additional fees generally are required. "

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

To my knowledge, there is no legal requirement that airlines in the US must seat children together with their parents. OP may pay for E+ now to get seats together, but doesn't want to.

I know that I am tired of being asked to switch seats with people because they didn't plan ahead or didn't want to pay for advance seat selection and will no longer move. "Good will and decency" need to go both ways.

OP should keep checking their reservation, as it's likely seats will open up, as people upgrade and/or move around before the flight.

Edited: 6:15 pm, December 04, 2017
Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
641 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

I'm a little confused, as United does not charge for seat selection and passengers can normally select and change seats under "manage booking".

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,293 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unassigned seats on United flight

"I'm a little confused, as United does not charge for seat selection and passengers can normally select and change seats under "manage booking"."

All of which is true. But it only applies to seats that are still available. The OP's flight doesn't have two seats together except in the Economy + section. There is a charge for those seats.

Reply to: Unassigned seats on United flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted