We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting flight Miami

Level Contributor
19 posts
Connecting flight Miami

Hi, myself and my partner are arriving in Miami Airport from Heathrow on the 18th December we have exactly 2 hours to catch our connecting plane to Montego Bay, will this be enough time? Both flights are with American Airways.

Any advice greatly appreciated

37 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,490 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Connecting flight Miami

I prefer 3 hours to clear US immigration and customs. It’s tight but you may make it.

Edited: 3:17 pm, December 04, 2017
UK
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Connecting flight Miami

If the inbound is on time then you should be OK. If you have traveled to the USA with an ESTA before then use the APC kiosks and you will be through in no time at all. Queuing up at the desks will take a bit longer.

The only problem is the TSA security checkpoint which will take about half an hour if you don’t have precheck.

In years past I would have said 2 hours was way too short at Miami, it’s still tight but possible these days.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Connecting flight Miami

I had 5 hours and it still took me 3h15m to change planes in Miami. It was very chaotic and the baggage carousels were manic.

UK
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Connecting flight Miami

You don’t need to collect bags in Miami for international to international connections anymore, but yes their baggage delivery is really slow.

NH
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Connecting flight Miami

December 18 is a Monday. Depending upon the time of day you are landing at MIA...you stand a chance of making your connection. Usually clearing customs in the morning is easier. ...Anything after 3PM is busy and to make matters worse, the TSA does not open the Pre-Check lanes to ease the congestion until 4PM! ~~~allfins ><>

Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Connecting flight Miami

Thank you everyone, I am a bit worried, but I suppose there's nothing I can do about it. American Airways rang me yesterday, and they said that we would have to collect our bags, I was thinking about taking a carry on each, to save some time, but not sure if we can take on chargers and things such as toothpaste, deodorant.

Any ideas !!! We will be arriving in Miami at 16. 05 so would say it's going to be busy

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
7. Re: Connecting flight Miami

*IF* it is on one ticket, AA are obliged to get you to your final destination. Did you buy 2 seperate tickets for this journey, both from AA? or did you buy 1 ticket LHR to MBJ? that's important and hopefully t's the latter.

Here's a post by Steve from a couple of months back

https:/…86759986

I would read that thread, get to LHR early, very early, and ask for the "red ITI" tags that get your luggage to MBJ. By the sound of the phone call from AA stating you must collect your bags, it sounds like you have seperate tickets.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,588 posts
8. Re: Connecting flight Miami

all you can do is hope for the best on the day. AA will be responsible to get you to Montego Bay but it probably wouldn't be till the next day (there are no later direct flights and those with connections involve overnight at the connection)

Our last visit to MIA at the start of the year co-incided with the Border computers going down so no Global entry queue and one snaked queue with 1,000s of frustrated people and took 3 hours to get to someone to show passport to!

UK
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Connecting flight Miami

Yes what JBB said :-)

You say AA called you to say that you need to collect your bags, did they mean in Miami and did they give a reason? If the ITI process is not available to you then having to wait for bags makes your connection very tight indeed.

If it is a single ticket AA will get you to your destination regardless but obviously making your planned connection would be ideal.

NH
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Connecting flight Miami

As an FYI.... your flight AA39 landed in MIA at 3:19PM after a delayed departure out of Heathrow!

After looking at your gate arrival and your gate departure locations, you can make your connection if you move as fast as you can once you deplane, I think this is doable. Not a pleasant connection but doable.

I usually fly internationally through MIA a couple of time a year. Granted; I'm an American and that does make a difference clearing customs. But...if flight AA39 historically arrives at MIA early, I think you stand a good chance of making your flight.

Just so you know (if I recall correctly), at the end of terminal D (departure gate for Montego Bay) there is a great sandwich "booth" to grab a sandwich to take onboard your flight to Montego Bay. The name of the sandwich shop is "Port O Subs." ~~~allfins ><>

Reply to: Connecting flight Miami
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted