We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

2 posts
2 reviews
Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

I bought really expensive business tickets thru Expedia for the first and LAST time! I went online a few weeks later, changed the inbound date, was charged and received a confirmation email with the change. All set. But 5 days later I receive an email from Expedia saying that the change was actually not done and I have been calling them every day and waiting 60-90 minutes every time and still no solution. They apologize, recognize that it was a system failure between Expedia and the airline but NO SOLUTION. Please don’t make the same mistake I made and buy your tickets directly with airlines or with a trusted travel agent, NEVER with Expedia. What a nightmare!!!!

34 replies to this topic
Canada
Level Contributor
10,062 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

You did NOT heed the warnings of others to book direct with an airline. Why would others listen to you? People are always looking for a bargain, aren't they?

2 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

Agree! I was looking actually for convenience which is the exact opposite of what I got. Hopefully the more people are vocal about what a disaster Expedia is more people will avoid making this mistake

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,232 posts
170 reviews
3. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

Thousands of threads about problems with 3rd party agents (Expedia one of the better ones to be fair), but so many people still completely ignore the advice to book direct with the airline

Why is this Mario ?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,022 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

dont be so hard on mario. not everybody reads the air travel forum to see comments warning others not to use agents.

it might appear logical to some to book direct with the airlines, but if a person enters google to find flights and then sees a bargain, human nature being what it is, they will go to that site first

but i would be reasonably sure that expedia have tens of thousands of customers who have been totally satisfied. a few people complaining here do not reflect the standing of the company!

and no, i dont work for expedia today!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,306 posts
220 reviews
5. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

What are the specifics of the issue? Or are you simply posting to badmouth Expedia?

1 post
6. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

I sent Expedia a letter back on Oct 26th requesting a refund on a Hotel which released Us early after Hurricane Irma and have not got a response back and today is Dec 4th. All the paper work was clear and submitted to them. If I do not get a response soon I will take the papers to my Attorney and let them send out a letter.. To be clear, we were told to evacuate and the best way to book a Hotel was on the computer and through Expedia, believe me the trip was very exhusting and frustating when your trying to out run a storm. And now I'm dealing with trying to get my money back for the nights we did not use..

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,101 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

'we were told to evacuate and the best way to book a Hotel was on the computer and through Expedia' Who told you this? The best way to book a hotel is usually through the hotel's website rather than through most third parties. In a situation like that with Irma where hundreds of people were looking to travel at very short notice, there would have been even less benefit in using a third party.

'requesting a refund on a Hotel which released Us early after Hurricane Irma and have not got a response back and today is Dec 4th.' You wrote Expedia at the end of October, and although just over a month it isn't an exceptionally long time to wait for a reply.

'If I do not get a response soon I will take the papers to my Attorney and let them send out a letter.' Why would you pay a fairly large sum of money to do this?

Write Expedia again, keeping the letter to one page if possible. Lay out the facts - no hyperbole - and say you'd like the courtesy of a reply within X working days. Ask what if anything you can do to move the matter along.

With the holidays coming up fast little work may get done between now and the end of the year, so bear that in mind, but write again keeping all mentions of exhaustion and frustration out of it as it's not germane to the outcome you'd like.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

#6 - this is the air travel forum. What does your hotel booking have to do with air travel?

I always find these attorney threats hilarious. It will cost more than your hotel booking to get an attorney involved.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
9. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

Lots of reasons. They are huge, maybe too large. Support staff is outsourced. Training is often insufficient. There can be language issues. Lack of empowerment. And many more reasons.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15 posts
10. Re: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??

Are you calling headquarters or the regular CS 800 number?

Reply to: Why is Expedia so bad in customer service??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted