We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a reward flight

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
924 posts
53 reviews
Booking a reward flight

Is it too early to book a reward flight for late June, 2018? The only flights I see for my rewards less than what I am looking at is for basic economy with Delta. I am nervous about getting bumped with basic economy. We are going to Calgary, Canada - a very popular destination for the summer months, so am wondering if the good nonstop flights may sell out early.

5 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,084 posts
433 reviews
1. Re: Booking a reward flight

Delta uses dynamic pricing even with its reward flights.

June is tourist season and you are right Calgary is very popular.

Book as soon as you are able.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,762 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Booking a reward flight

It might be too late not too early! Some folks book the moment that the schedules are announced.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
52,799 posts
1,772 reviews
3. Re: Booking a reward flight

For reward travel, due to limited seats, I book as soon as seats open up.

Good luck,

Hunt

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,633 posts
4. Re: Booking a reward flight

Once you have a ticket, award or revenue, your chances of getting bumped are near zero, and mileage ticket travelers are at no greater risk than anybody else.

Most airlines release seats into award inventory on a rolling basis, not all at once on the first day. Their "yield management" computer programs (very complicated, very secret) are constantly evaluating how flights are doing, how the competition is doing, fuel prices, etc. etc. - and will put seats into award "buckets" when the criteria say it's in the airline's best interest.

The best thing to do is keep monitoring, and when you see seats that you can live with (schedule, category) pull the trigger then don't look back. That rule applies whether you're using miles or money.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
924 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Booking a reward flight

Thanks for your advise. When I looked again, the points had gone up :-( I waited a day and found a similar flight had been added and grabbed it at the lower points!

Reply to: Booking a reward flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted