We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Hello

Looking for advice and recommendations for our return to the UK from Mexico. We live in the North West and are flying into Gatwick after a night flight and are not sure of our options. We will be landing at 06:30 on a Saturday. We are two adults and a 6 year old (who will be able to sleep on the plane, but unfortunately cannot drive)!! Haha!

Not really looking to drive for 4+ hours, even if we split the drive it is not something I think would be safe to do.

Has anyone done this and found a good option? I am happy to drive a bit and then stop in a hotel overnight, not keen to do a day room as the £70+ for a room could be used for an overnight stay and I would feel I am getting my monies worth!

Thank you.

30 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
36 reviews
1. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

If it was me I'd look into a BA flight from LHR to Manchester - ensuring you book a Plus fare as this gives you some free changes which you might need if you are delayed.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
25,841 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Tom, their incoming flight lands at LGW, so why do you suggest a flight out of LHR?

Let's start at the beginning. Where will your car be left when you start the whole trip? What are the timings of the out bound flight?

SWT

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
3. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Car will be left at Gatwick Long Stay. We are stopping in the Premier Inn the night before our flight to Mexico, so no issues there. It is just the thought of all that driving back up to Chorley after no sleep! :-(

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
441 reviews
4. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

There are coaches and trains and the like and someone may be along with a clincher.

Let me go out into left field with an alternative approach, it may not be Mexico but take the easy train ride south to Brighton, have a day and night. Train back to Gatwick the next day, drive home. (You’ll tell me now this early January?)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
45,186 posts
80 reviews
5. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Ah so you have your own car there. From your post I thought you were going to rent a car.

OK so public transport is out of the question then. Have you though about the Yotel at LGW? You can rent on a 4 hour basis from about £52. then you could all get a shower and some shut eye.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,471 posts
90 reviews
6. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Otherwise head to somewhere away from the airport which cheap rates low occupancy at weekends for the night and try for early check in. Guildford has Premier Inn and Holiday Inn

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
18 posts
82 reviews
7. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Thank you all for the suggestions. It is annoying that there are now no flights from Manchester to Gatwick as I would have picked that option immediately.

We are going at Easter. Picked Gatwick as our son will only miss 1 day of school (last day) and not most of that week. Otherwise we would have gone from Manchester, much easier!

I will have a look at Yotel and also destinations north of M25, although I do like the idea of Brighton!! Haha! Not sure hubby would be impressed with me adding more driving to the trip! Haha!

Depending on how this holiday trip goes will depend on whether I am considerate to school in the future! Haha!

Thank you again.

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,591 posts
97 reviews
8. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

Apart from a Sunday morning, do not remotely consider taking a drive along the section of M25 from Gatwick towards the northwards heading motorways, at the early morning rush hour (between 7am - 9am).

Seriously it could take you 2 hours to travel 30 or 40 miles such is the weight of traffic.

I find it hard to offer anything else though, sorry. Even Guildford will take you over an hours travel in a car going the route through Dorking, - journey normally takes about 30 mins or so.

If you haven't paid and booked the long term car park yet, then maybe have a look at parking up near Reading, and getting the direct 'Gatwick Express' train to the airport, and then vice versa on return, it's about a 90 minute train journey but cuts an awful lot of mileage out if you can muster up the mindset to finish off the drive the day that you return.

Happy Hols anyway, Mexico (Riviera Maya) is fantastic :-)

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
441 reviews
9. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

But the Gatwick Express goes nowhere near Reading! There are direct trains but “Express” they are not....

Hampshire England
Level Contributor
6,591 posts
97 reviews
10. Re: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight

What? The Gatwick Express runs from Reading, direct to Gatwick, stopping at just a few stations along the way.

Maybe it's not called that any longer but that's what it's known as to locals.

Reply to: Travel from Gatwick after long haul/night flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted