We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying a ticket through kayak

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
buying a ticket through kayak

Does anyone see an issue with buying a ticket through kayak. I know they aren't a mileage broker and their price is great.

21 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,910 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Are you actually looking to book a flight FROM Kayak or just from one of the many sites that Kayak links to? If the latter, it depends on the site you have in mind.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,223 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Kayak is more like a search engine for flights and while they now have arrangements to book via kayak the actual booking is done via another 3rd party. Honestly I would search for the same route on kayak google flights or skyscanner and then book with the airline directly

Avoid 3rd parties

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,658 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

You are dealing with a 3rd party. Should any thing go wrong your contract is with that 3rd or maybe even 4th party and not with the airline. Also if it's a multi stop trip, are you travelling with different airlines which may mean that you have to retrieve your luggage at any of the connections and does time really allow it.

If it's on one ticket then the airline will take care of you.

Yes price sometimes is better but problems can be a major issue.

I never book through 3rd parties.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

It is with China Eastern Airlines but kayak won't give me an option to book with them. When I clicked on the link it looks like I would be booking through justfly.com, which I won't be doing after reading the horrible reviews.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Book direct. Justfly's 'price' is fantasy anyway.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,537 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Spouse had same thing, kayak search ending in justfly booking engine. Avoid. Just go book with the airline. Kayak tarnishes itself by even including justfly.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Thanks

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Congratulations Oliver. You've dodged a bullet by doing some research and checking before you bought. Most do it the other way around and come here with their tales of woe after the fact.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
907 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Thanks. I did try to book direct with China Eastern but their website wouldn't let me. Will try again later.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
12,798 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying a ticket through kayak

Oliver, I don't know if this is creating your problem, but I couldn't book an Air Asia flight because it looked to my CC company like someone was trying to charge something in Asia, but I hadn't notified them that I was in Asia.

Once I called the CC company, I could book the flight.

Reply to: buying a ticket through kayak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted