We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Here is the snapshot of the story.

So far 67 days since I filed the complaint seeking an explanation of this nightmare of an experience, still no answer. I tried contacting via email, facebook, twitter and they always copy and paste the same reply.

I called customer service at least 6 times and here are some replies:

1. Sep:"I cannot access this file, my supervisor can, but she is in a meeting. She will take a look and call back." (never did)

2. Sep: "I talk to someone and will call you back" (never did)

3. Nov: Nobody here can access this file, not even supervisor, I will call you back (never did)

In short, my friend had one of the worest experiences with @KLM airline. She book a flight from Madrid--> Ottawa for Aug.29 2017, She purchased 2 seats, one for her and one for her cello. (delicate instrument cannot be checked). The received 3 confirmation e-mails form KLM (2 June, 5 June and 8 June 2017) OF BOOKING all stated that everything was CONFIRMED, including the seat for her Cello. (the price was around 1100EUR)

The nightmare started as when she arrived at the airport with her 23kg suitcase and my 12kg Cello and 10kg bag pack, she was informed at the check-in counter that my ticket was not issued!!

She almost had a nerve break down. KLM agents said "sorry" but there are not a single seat for the next 2 weeks to Ottawa.

After hours of trying, she was forced me to purchase a new ticket on the spot for a much higher price (originally 1100 EUR with KLM, now: 1463 EUR with Air France), and she had to check her cello to cargo. In the end, the cello was damaged and case was broken, both her suitcase and cello were missing and delayed for 5 days.

Why is KLM keep ignoring this case? Initially the email confirmation said 7-10 days for reply. One customer service said it will take 30 days, then another said 45 days, and their Twitter/FB/ Email standard reply says "we are working on it"..

Is 67 days a normal waiting period??? How would KLM not issue the tickets even with THREE CONFIRMATION EMAILS OF BOOKING?

Would really appreciate some advice from everyone here in how to deal with KLM.

Thank you

95 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Your post is confusing to me. Maybe it is to KLM too?

Why was the seat for you and the Cello?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,895 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Are you the passenger in question? It isn't clear from your post. Or did you just book the ticket (you seem to indicate both). How was the ticket booked - from KLM directly or through a 3rd party?

Edited: 1:15 pm, November 12, 2017
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,902 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

I'm confused. Was it your friend that had the problem, or you?

She purchased 2 seats, one for her and one for her cello but then "with her 23kg suitcase and my 12kg Cello and 10kg bag pack, she was informed at the check-in counter that my ticket was not issued!"

If your friend bought 2 seats, one for her and one for her cello, where does your ticket come into it, and why was your friend informed about you having no ticket?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Totally don't understand your post. It makes it sound as if you are the cello.

Edited: 1:21 pm, November 12, 2017
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

I think you need to be clear about what compensation you are seeking. The cello damage can cost a lot of money, yet it was your friend's decision to check it and take a risk. I fully understand she was in a difficult position, but many would rather pay $1,500 for a ticket or postpone the trip rather than check a $30,000 cello in cargo. (Don't know the value of your cello but it was at least worth bringing.)

Also, passengers can still get bumped off at the gate for overbooking. Maybe you should talk to a lawyer and deal directly with claims office and in writing. And maybe that's why you can't get an answer from their call center because this is bigger than what the call center people are trained to deal with.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Cellos are delicate instruments which are sentitive to tempreture and air pressure. It is customary for a cello to be placed/strapped to a 2nd seat next to the passenger during air travels.

In our case, both 2 seats (passenger+cello) were confirmed 3 times by KLM via email. Yet on the day of they said the tickets were not issued

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

I'm still not sure why the OP is dealing with KLM as he says the flyers were a friend and a cello. Even if he paid for the tickets, and that isn't clear from his confusing post, shouldn't the passenger be the one to follow-up with the airline when there is a problem?

Did your friend check-in on-line with KLM or just show up at the airport?'

And the tickets were purchased from KLM?

Edited: 1:49 pm, November 12, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

Thank you so much for your imput.

I understand it was my decision to check the cello for the re-booking with another airline. But that is not what we are claiming. What we want to know is that "how did this happen?" We are looking for an EXPLINATION, if financial compensation can be provided , perhaps the differences in the ticket price we payed, that would be great but we just want an explanation,

was it KLM's fault for not issuing the tickets without any communication?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

No one here knows what happened.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,695 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation

The first question you need to answer is - who were the tickets booked with, KLM or some 3rd party.

Reply to: KLM (ignoring day 67) My quest for an explanation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted