We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
99 posts
690 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

We have a package holiday booked through Newmarket Holidays which involved flights from Heathrow to Atlanta, Georgia return with Virgin. It has been a nightmare from start to now, two weeks before flying. We are not frightened of flying, it is the other people on the flight (the drunk, the person in front who reclines enough to put his head in my lap, the morbidly obese that is sited next to me and overhangs onto my space and the one with BO). We try to book seats for just two together and with extra legroom. We were supposed to be flying with Virgin out and return and the return flight has been altered so many times - flight times and then we have been dumped onto Delta. Our payment for upgrade on Virgin was returned and we then rebooked seats with Delta. Now, just two weeks before departure, I looked on the Virgin site to find a message to say that our flight time outbound had been changed - yes, I knew that, but on scrolling down saw that we had been dumped onto Delta for flight out, although we had not been informed. We had been allocated bog standard seats on the Delta flight, although we had paid for upgraded seats on Virgin to Economy Plus. Please can somebody tell me that we are going to be okay. We are now quite anxious about the whole holiday. Is Delta and Virgin for that matter, as it is Virgin who have shifted us really so unreliable?

36 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

It's going to be ok. Virgin doesn't fly between heathrow and Atlanta anyway (at least not currently).

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,212 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

You will survive. Assume you got a refund for your E+ seats, you might look at the comfort seats on DL.

Virgin is not usually unreliable.

Edited: 11:51 am, November 09, 2017
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

I think you are panicking.

<<the drunk, the person in front who reclines enough to put his head in my lap, the morbidly obese that is sited next to me and overhangs onto my space and the one with BO)>>

If there is a drunk person on the flight misbehaing to the point that he endangers flight safety, the staff will intervene. If he just had some drinks but behaves fine, there is no issue.

Let's please not start another recline debate. If the seat is designed to reclined, that is what he might does.

BO is unpleasant, but not much you can doe against it. If somebody occupies more than his seat, speak to the FA, it does not matter if that person is obese or just arrogant.

All of above has nothing to do with the change of airline.

So either you are willing to use public transportation (and that is flying today), or you have to find another way of transportation.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
6,126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

For practical purposes Virgin Atlantic is controlled by Delta, they own 49% of it outright and are by far the largest shareholder. Virgin Atlantic is a small airline by world standards and it has a number of Boeing 787s waiting for replacement engines, more indeed than it has spare planes. So rather than cancel some flights altogether, big brother Delta has stepped in to operate a few Virgin Atlantic flights for them until the engine crisis is over. This is relatively easy for them to do as Atlanta is their largest single operating base.

Given that the alternative would have been to cancel your flight as there is no aircraft to operate it, is Delta so bad? They're one of the biggest airlines in the world, their on-time and cancellation record is the best of all US-based airlines.

I'm not familiar with Economy Plus, I thought Virgin Atlantic only had Economy and Premium Economy, a class which doesn't exist on most Delta planes, plus UpperClass.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,920 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

Virgin do only have economy, premium economy and upper. No economy plus.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,705 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

In my experience of flying with both Delta and Virgin Atlantic I'd actually prefer Delta where I've found the overall experience better so I cannot agree with the view that you have been "dumped onto Delta".

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,797 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

That is what I was going to say: you mean you've been UPGRADED to Delta, not dumped. Get your refund for your seats and book Delta Comfort+: it's worth it.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

I’m guessing economy plus is the similar to virgin Australia economy x....a small section of extra legroom seems seats that offer basically the same service as economy but with extra legroom. I guess they realise people are prepared to pay for the exit rows so added a few more with extra room. It’s in addition to premium economy but not so expensive.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,920 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

Virgin Atlantic don't have economy plus. Yes they have extra legroom rows but they don't market them as economy plus. They're just extra legroom.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,269 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines

Well you won't be OK, if you continue to stress about this and get onboard expecting everything to go wrong.

Sounds like Delta has done you a favour by flying your flights rather than them be cancelled.

I've no idea why you seem to think you're more likely to encounter those types of passengers you list as being undesirable on Delta than Virgin Atlantic.

Air travel is mass publc transport in economy whether plus or premium. Even in J or F, there's no guarantee yiu won't encounter someone you consider objectionable.

My advice would be to look forward to your holiday and stop worrying about who may be near you on the flight. Who knows they may be really, nice considerate people.

Reply to: Virgin moved us to Delta Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted