We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Worldwide
Search

Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
1,193 reviews
319 helpful votes
Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

I will be on a Norwegian from Gatwick to Seattle in economy next year and would like some clarity please on their drinking water service.

I plan on bringing my own meal and some snacks in my carry on with me.

Some people on reviews say they will not serve you any water period whatsoever in long haul international economy and you must buy individual bottles of water if you want to drink.

Some say yes they will serve you drinking water but you must wait till everyone who has purchased their meals gets their meal and water first before you can get any free water.

Others say yes you can get free drinking water if you give the flight attendants your own empty drinking water bottle you brought on board with you only.

The web site does not specifically address this I have looked.

45 replies to this topic
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
35 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

I think it varies flight to flight. So my advice is to fill your bottle after security and take it onboard. During meal service they were not offering any drinks to anyone who had not bought meals, on both flights we took.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
5,529 posts
2. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

I don't know the answer, but, the route of the review may be important. By the look of the variations in those reviews they may have been on a different service.

The LGW-SEA is a Norwegian 787 dreamliner but they also offer TATL on 738max aircraft to the east coast. Then again, some of it may be down to the FA's (mood) on the day, it does seem strange there are as many different reviews. I'd probably travel prepared for zero supply ;-)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
47 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

I always bring several large bottles of water with me when traveling transatlantic. Even if I'm traveling business class. I suggest you do the same if there are question marks over the availability of water.

Austin, Texas
1 post
4. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

I just landed from gatwick to JFK

They do not serve water no matter when and if you want to buy it it is $3 (or pounds?)

I could not fill my water bottle at gatwick because there are no water fountains after security and the water in the lavatories was hot only. Our seats were also broken (3 of us were traveling and each had something different broken). Flight attendants said we could purchase food after lunch service. After lunch we asked again and they said just a few min. Two and a half hours later they passed the menus but never came to ask so we asked them and after 30’min they finally gave us our sandwich.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
35 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

"I could not fill my water bottle at gatwick because there are no water fountains after security"

From Gatwick airport website:

Are there water fountains after security?

Yes, we have water fountains available after security in both terminals and all our restaurants and bars will fill bottles for free.

South Terminal departure lounge: on the lower level in the toilets next to Harrods.

North Terminal two fountains on the right-hand side of the entrance to World Duty Free.

South of England
Level Contributor
4,525 posts
183 reviews
86 helpful votes
6. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

As per #5 plus also in the South Terminal airside (where D8/DY/DI) departs from one located on the upper level by the toilets. It has recently been ‘upgraded” to a filter water dispenser.

#4 would also have been able to purchase bottled water from a variety of airside shops before heading to the gate. Around £1.10-£1.50 for 0.50l/0.75l bottle.

Welcome to the world of Low Cost Carrier longhaul flying. You pay extra for the extras on top of your cheap ticket.

1 post
1 review
7. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

No free water just now (on an 8 hour flight :-\ ).

W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
8,256 posts
197 reviews
144 helpful votes
8. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

No free water !

Fly a full service airline then.

Oh I forgot, they’re not cheap.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
1,193 reviews
319 helpful votes
9. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

"You pay extra for the extras on top of your cheap ticket."

water is not an "extra" it is essential to live

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
7,071 posts
35 reviews
28 helpful votes
10. Re: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Save

But it is available on board, you just have to pay for it, and they make no secret of this. There are lots of reasons I'd not fly transatlantic with Norwegian, but having to pay for water on board isn't one of them.

After all, although piped water is supplied to my house, I do have to pay the water company for the service, essential for life or not.

Reply to: Clarity on Norwegian long haul international water service
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted