We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

I tried the search, don't have time to look through all posts so if i'm asking a repeat question I apologise. You're booking 2 seats in a three seat row. Do you book window and aisle and hope nobody takes the middle seat. Or do you book the middle seat and either of the other seats and hope they don't sell the open one. One of my friends said why not just book 2 aisles across from each other. What say y'all

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

greymatter: have a look at the travel forum specific to the airline you wish to travel on at flyertalk.com (you'll need to poke around a bit--they are listed by frequent flyer programs). On the specific forum, you should be able to find a thread--probably a sticky--on fare class codes. That should do it for you. Generally, if the number in any fare class is 9 or higher, that means there is lots of availability (minimum 9); if lower, then it is the actual number. Even without knowing the codes, if the numbers come up all 9's, then it is likely that there is lots of space on the flight. What is useful is to know whether specific classes such as business or first are available if one wants to try for an upgrade, or as with some airlines a certain number of seats are still available for upgrade. It is also helpful, at times, to know that economy is sold out but business and higher is empty: good chance for a gate upgrade if one is either a high-level frequent flyer or maybe just clicks with the gate agent (I have known this to happen!).

New Zealand
Level Contributor
326 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

Thankyou 'arf68' but I'm really very confused! I have looked up seatcounter.com and flyertalk.com and I'm not sure what I'm looking for/at. Perhaps it's a case of being in the silver hair vintage and not as savvy as maybe I once was. I think we will just go with the flow and turn up at check-in and hope for the best. I do appreciate your efforts though.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

graymatter.... for difinition on "class codes"... take a look at this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_class

Ithaca, New York
Level Contributor
679 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

Hockeymedic, I think 2 aisles is fine if you don't care about chatting w/ your traveling companion or plan to sleep during the flight.

We usually pick window & middle, as we aren't up and back and forth a lot during flights, and like to take naps. Then people don't climb over us to get out.

But I have a set of friends and the whole family is a bit claustrophobic, so they all pick aisle seats and don't care if they are spread out.

So, depends on what works best for you. Playing the system sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

Greymatter: to be honest seatcounter comes into it's own much closer to the departure date - it would be quite usual for a flight in June to be showing maximum capacity in March. If it's really important to me how capacity is going on a specific flight, I check by doing a dummy booking on the airlines own website - this will show you how seats are being allocated, and if it looks as if the plane will be full, you can change your seat allocation accordingly.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

An aisle & window seat towards the rear of the aircraft is normally last to be filled with the middle seat passenger. That's to allow extra comfort and space.

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

greymatter: it is in fact very confusing! I have managed to work out the class codes for only one airline (Air Canada) and that is mostly because the Air Canada frequent flyer forum has done a nice job of explaining the codes.

In terms of just looking to see how full a flight is, then seatcounter will give you a good idea just by looking at the numbers (all zeros means full!).

You could post the specific frequent flyer forum for the airline you will fly on Flyertalk and someone will hopefully walk you through what you need to know. Cheers, arf

bridgeport, ct
Level Contributor
475 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

I tried the book the aisle and window on my KLM flight last year hoping that no one would take that middle seat. When i looked at the seating chart the day before we left, it still looked like no one had taken it so I was really psyched that my plan had worked. Well of course, when we get on the plane, it is FULL and someone is sitting there.

I took one for the team and sat in the middle seat (one of the most uncomfortable experiences of my life - mostly due to cramped and old KLM plane).

That said, our trick DID work on the return flight. I think it and one other seat were the only open seats on the whole flight though.

If I had to do it over again, I would pick two aisle across from each other no question. Actually, the most recent time I flew I went out of my way to book an American Airlines flight that had a seat configuration with two seats on the outsides and 5 in the middle. Without that seating configuration choice though I would go with aisle and aisle - no question. Most flights I have taken in the last few years have been almost completely full and I learned my lesson on that flight to amsterdam.

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: booking 2 seats in a 3 seat row

Just flew back from Rome last night with BA. 4 of us in all & we booked 4 aisle seats. Luckily 3 of our party had no-one sitting in the middle row, only some one in the window seat. I was one of the lucky three. The unlucky person with a person in the middle moved to an aisle seat in front with no one next to hime...result everyone had space to spread out, wonderful.

The question of two aisles or aisle & window is the forever discussion in our house, I usually win & book aisles only....some you win, some you lose but at least on the aisles you can spread out a bit more.