We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New US Passport Design...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
10 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
New US Passport Design...

Back in early 2016, the US State Department announced that new changes to the US Passport were coming. If you're reading this, you're probably already aware of the proposed changes. Namely added security and a more durable info page.

At the time, I considered waiting for the new ones to be released since my then passport was expiring soon and I had a planned trip to Russia and wanted to be sure I had plenty of extra pages for my trips ahead. As the trip was approaching, I just said to hell with it and renewed my passport even though the proposed new ones were not yet announced. Turns out I did the right thing, as it is now late October 2017 and they still haven't released the new ones.

What I was really curious about is what everyone thinks about the changes, why there is a delay, and if everyone agrees that they hope the awful design gets a huge overhaul and goes minimalist like they did years ago. Or, take a look at Norway or Switzerland's passports for inspiration.

20 replies to this topic
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,815 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: New US Passport Design...

Based on recent events it's probably because it was approved under a different presidency ergo it needs changing.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New US Passport Design...

Yeah, every administration has to put their "stamp" on things. I'm wondering who made the decision to change to GOES website to TTP , which is having it's problems. Just more ways to spend our money. Maybe someone will come to their senses, but considering the current state of affairs,I'm not holding my breath.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New US Passport Design...

How laughable to compare US needs to Norway/Switzerland--like watermelon vs durian. No comparison...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,161 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New US Passport Design...

The only change I liked was that they stopped issuing two sizes of passports. I had to get my old passport sent back for additional pages. Now the new one by default has more pages and I'm good with that.

As technology changes and it falls in the hands of the wrong people, governments of all countries have to keep an eye on what the counterfeiters are doing .. and that means passports have to change and evolve as technology changes -- and I hope they do to keep a step or half a step ahead.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New US Passport Design...

"How laughable to compare US needs to Norway/Switzerland--like watermelon vs durian. No comparison..."

I'm not sure that's so "laughable" but even if it is, that's not what the OP did. A needlessly rude comment though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New US Passport Design...

>>> "How laughable to compare US needs to Norway/Switzerland--like watermelon vs durian. No comparison..." <<<

Why are their needs so different? And why did you feel the need to be so offensive to both the OP and all of Norway & Swtizerland?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
11,180 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New US Passport Design...

US Passport design is pretty far down on my list of issues to be concerned about.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,896 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New US Passport Design...

It IS laughable to compare 2 small countries' needs to those of the US. I stand by my comparison, actually, the lack thereof. Nothing was rude in referencing the OP's comment.

Each country has their own system; apples, oranges, cherries, et al.

Have a nice day.

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New US Passport Design...

Quite a few years ago I got a US Passport Card when I was renewing my book passport. Every once in a while I show it to passport control-immigration officer and they look at it with surprise and amazement, never having seen one.

There was $$ in the toilet. It will be out of date before it becomes useful.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New US Passport Design...

>>> It IS laughable to compare 2 small countries' needs to those of the US. <<<

How are they different? Surely all countries have the same needs/uses for their passports? Are you really so arrogant that you think countries with large populations can never learn anything from those with smaller populations?

Reply to: New US Passport Design...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted