We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

I am booking a codeshare flight (operated by KA, marketed by CA). Under what programmes can I accrue miles for that flight?

6 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

KA is Cathay Dragon (formerly DragonAir). CA is Air China.

You need to check with your frequent flier program. Usually (but not always) you'd be eligible to earn miles if a member of either the airlines' FF programs (Cathay or Air China). But it does depend on the fare class/bucket you booked as cheap/low fare classes may not accrue miles.

If you're a member of a FFP that's a partner with one of these airlines you'd only be eligible if the operating airline is a partner. For example, if you're a FF with say United (Star Alliance partner with Air China) you would NOT earn miles as the flight is operated by Cathay Dragon who do not have a FF agreement with UA.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

I'm sure that the native FFP of both CA and KA can get miles, but their programs are crap (have 3 year hard expiry).

In this case, can I get miles on other oneworld programs on the basis that the operating airlines (KA) is a partner?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

That's why you need to check with the frequent flier program you're a member of are looking to join.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

I have phoned my favourite oneworld programme and the reply is no.

As the rule of Star Alliance is an explicit no, it seems that nothing else besides the crap native programmes can accrue the miles for this flight.

The game is so hard to play, I have points scattered around a lot of programmes already, each with a few hundred to thousand miles, sitting there doing nothing.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

"The game is so hard to play, I have points scattered around a lot of programmes already, each with a few hundred to thousand miles, sitting there doing nothing."

==========

The "game" isn't hard to play if you do research and know how to play the "game".

Rule #1, consolidate your flying into one program and alliance. That's what I do and I've had top tier status with one US airline (United) and Star Gold for 13 years.

Is United the best airline in the world? Heck NO, far from it. But given my needs its route coverage works best for me and so flying UA gets me the best benefits. Making it better for me to fly United (and Star) over other airlines where I wouldn't get those bennies.

I don't know which airline/alliance would be best for you and your region. But find it out and stick with it.

Edited: 2:54 am, October 20, 2017
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
356 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight

It is basically impossible for me to consolidate my flying into one alliance, because different routes have different "best alliance" in my region (for example, for HKG - TPE, Star Alliance and SkyTeam are the best, but for PEK - HKG, the best player is Star Alliance, where SkyTeam only offers very few flights a day, which I can't take for my trip, and to somewhere in Europe, perhaps only oneworld offers direct flight but not the other alliances).

I live between HKG (oneworld hub) and SZX (star alliance hub), but from which airport I take my flight totally depends on the route and the price. HKG is good for international flights and SZX is good for domestic flights, but CX/KA is so damn expensive that I would not bother to take, and I choose the other country's airline from HKG instead.

The very best I can do is to use one program per alliance, However, the "one program per alliance" rule cannot cater for non-alliance codeshare flights, which is precisely my current situation, and also non-alliance airlines (such as Azerbaijan Airlines) without partnership with any other airlines in the world.

Reply to: FFP miles accural with codeshare flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted