We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

I'm flying from LA to Frankfurt with a layover in Stockholm. Where will I have to go through customs? In Stockholm or Frankfurt?

10 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Customs are interested in what a person has on entry to a country. Immigration are interested in the person with the goods.

You will go through passport control at ARN (Stockholm) as that will be your first point of entry to the Schengen area. Customs in FRA should be a matter of walking through the blue Travellers from the EU channel.

If your return journey will have the same routing then you'll have a passport check before going to the gate at ARN as that will be your departure point from Schengen.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,679 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Customs is where your baggage may be subject to inspection and that is done in the destination country (Sweden, Stockholm Arlanda, ARN). Your bags will be checked through to ARN.

Immigration (passport control) will occur at FRA as the first point of entry into the Schengen Area. That will be part of the transit process and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

But you **won't** need to collect your bags at FRA and recheck them.

Edit - @TP - "Customs in FRA should be a matter of walking through the blue Travellers from the EU channel." - Pax collecting their bags from a journey originating outside the EU should use the Green channel. Not that it really matters as EU Customs is intelligence driven not random.

Edited: 2:07 am, October 15, 2017
Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

My actual final destination is Munich but due to a booking mixup I am flying into Frankfurt and then getting on another flight to Munich from there. But since it's not an regular layover within the same airline I will have to collect my luggage and re-enter through security. But I only have 2 hours between flights. So just to be clear, I will have to do the passport check in Frankfurt and not in Stockholm?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

For clarity, you're flying LAX-ARN-FRA, is that right? Did you book the ticket directly with the airline or through a third party, and if the latter then which? Have you got a single ticket or separate tickets from LAX to ARN then another for ARN-FRA? Which carriers are operating the flights?

At which airport have you got just two hours between flights? Let us know more, please.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

I am flying LAX-ARN-FRA on SAS Airlines and then FRA-MUC on Lufthansa, both booked through the airlines. I only have 2 hours between flights at FRA and I will have checked luggage.

Edited: 2:31 am, October 15, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,892 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Thanks. You'll go through passport control in Stockholm then customs in FRA. I'll leave it to those more familiar with FRA with respect to the two hour connection time.

UK
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Lufthansa and SAS are partners, so it may be possible to get your baggage checked all the way to Munich - but I don't know what their policy is with checking baggage on separate tickets, I know a lot of airlines don't allow it any more.

If you have to collect and re-check baggage then two hours is extremely tight.

What I would have done (and I appreciate it's too late now) is take the train. The journey is about three-and-a-half hours, and you arrive in the centre of town - as opposed to an airport an hour away. A flexible train ticket (i.e., valid on any train) is 104 Euro. There are trains approximately every half-hour, some direct, some requiring a change.

Edited: 3:24 am, October 15, 2017
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
44,897 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

If you do miss the flight from Frankfurt then use the train as a backup and don't faff around trying to get another flight to MUC.

As Aviatrix said too late now but the train was your better option in the first place or booking a flight with at least 3 hours between in FRA. there are direct trains from FRA to Munich main station every 40 mins or so I think from memory

UK
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

"there are direct trains from FRA to Munich main station every 40 mins or so I think from memory"

I checked before I posted - they're at irregular intervals, but there are at least two every hour (some requiring a change), so it's more than one every 40 minutes.

I guess for us Europeans it's a no-brainer - but the OP is from California, and Californians don't tend to "think train".

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,175 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?

Oh no some of us do. I stick to trains when I can in Europe as it takes less total time going from city center to city Center and yes have been on the Frankfurt to Munich trains a few times

Reply to: Flying LA to Frankfurt with layover in Stockholm, Customs?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted