We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Online boarding pass

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
224 reviews
Save Topic
Online boarding pass

I purchased tickets for my sister and I to fly to London from Seatac on British Air. She will be joining me at Seatac the afternoon of our flight, flying in from Boise. Can she use the BA booking reference # to get her boarding pass 24 hours ahead? I think so but wanted to make sure. We wanted to meet up at a restaurant in the airport that is past the TSA check-in. Thanks!!!

11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Online boarding pass

Yes, in normal circumstances she should be able to check in online and get a boarding pass from 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time of her flight. If the flight from Boise is on the same ticket, she may be able to check in for the BA flight at the same time as for the earlier flight.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,654 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Online boarding pass

Is she not on one ticket ? What about checked bags ? If she is airside why would she have to come landslide ? I am confused

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Online boarding pass

No, she is flying BOI-SEA on Southwest (she bought that ticket), then SEA-Heathrow on BA with me. Believe she can use BA reference # for BA boarding pass even though I bought those tickets.

Edited: 5:42 pm, October 14, 2017
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,442 posts
1,730 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Online boarding pass

If she has trouble with the BA OLCI, which is unlikely with the PNR, but you can do OLCI for both, most Airline Websites allow you to e-mail the BP’s to her, and she can print out hers. That option is *usually* on the page to Print the BP’s.

Just a fall-back method, should something go amiss.

Now, did you buy from BA, or a 3rd party agent? That *mght* make a difference.

Good luck, and fly safely,

Hunt

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Online boarding pass

Thanks; I purchased tickets directly from BA. What is PNR?

Edited: 7:45 pm, October 14, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,555 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Online boarding pass

PNR -> passenger name record, aka locator code, aka confirmation number or code. The PNR is the key to one's e-ticket, which holds all the data the airline should need with regards to one's flight.

You won't need any paperwork to fly with BA, and only in the most exceptional circumstances should you be asked to provide the PNR. Nonetheless, consider taking a picture of the Manage My Booking (MMB) page with that detail on it so you'll have it to hand in case you want quick access to your booking. I usually hand my passport to the ground agent and tell him or her my destination, all that's needed.

Unless you're very keen to do so there is no need to print boarding passes in advance as ground staff will provide them at airports. If your sister is checking a bag with BA then she'll need to go landside at SEA to stop at the bag drop desk where she can collect a boarding pass.

If neither you nor your sister are content with your seat assignments at OLCI (online check in) then printing boarding passes will mean changing seats at the airport (depending on availabilty) much more difficult, another reason to think twice before printing BPs. The two of you will have to decide this before OLCI opens.

Oregon
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Online boarding pass

Since your sister is flying on separate tickets I hope that she has allowed a generous cushion of time between flights - like at least 6 hours.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Online boarding pass

Southwest doesn't fly Boise-Seattle. You should double check her flight details for BOI-SEA. And yes as that flight is on a separate ticket she needs masses of contingency in case her flight is badly delayed or canceled.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c2…

(There are flights operated by SkyWest on behalf of Alaska and Delta, maybe it's one of them).

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Online boarding pass

Yes, sorry, I meant Alaska. She is to arrive @SEA at 12:15; our flight to London is at 7:10 pm.

Neither of us are checking bags.

Edited: 12:00 am, October 15, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,492 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Online boarding pass

Your sister should be fine with that flight and would have to be extremely unlucky not to make it. But note (from that traveler article) it's not just time (7 hours) but contingency she needs.

There are other BOI-SEA flights with Delta. So in the **highly unlikely** event that she can't make it with Alaska she could buy another ticket onto DL. A walk up fare for BOI-SEA will cost a lot less than a walk up SEA-LHR.

Just prep Sis for the worst case scenario, which most likely won't be needed, and have a great trip.

Reply to: Online boarding pass
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted