We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Hi

My husband, mother, 2yo daughter and I are flying Bne-Syd-Sfo (13.5hrs for Syd-Sfo leg) next week.

My daughter has flown Bne-Mel (and vice versa)(3.5hrs) before and an iPad with Peppa Pig has kept her quietly entertained and in her seat. However, she didn’t nap despite it being past nap-time.

Just after some suggestions please about what to pack in her little backpack “hand luggage”. My current plans are:

- iPad with Peppa & Hey Duggee etc

- headphones (we have in-ear bud style ones. Is that ok or should I get some ear-covering ones?)

- dummies

- book

- crayons

- paper

- snacks - crackers, hummus, cheese, cherry tomatoes, blueberries (can anyone confirm these are OK to take through security and customs?)

- pyjamas

- change of clothes

Nappies and wipes will be in my handbag along with a small change of clothes for myself.

Anything I’ve forgotten or anything you think I could skip?

Also any tips on getting her to sleep on the plane would be much appreciated (her genes are against her unfortunately because I’ve never been able to sleep on planes, even 20hr flights to UK)

Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,910 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Does she have a favourite doll or teddy or something else that she likes to snuggle up to when she sleeps?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Ah yes, Froggy is a must-have too. Sorry, forgot to mention him because he's pretty much a given everywhere we go :D

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

We use over ear headphones for our daughter. I think earbuds are too risky for damaging ears at a young age especially the way videos and movies amp up volume during exciting scenes.

For our daughter nap times come when she is tired, an hour or two nap, and she is back in action. She will get a couple naps on on a 12-14 hour flight.

UK
Level Contributor
2,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

I second the over ear headphones, the kids ones typically have volume protection built in.

Hummus is spreadable at room temperature (that's the generic definition of a paste) so you can only take containers of it that are less than 100ml in size.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
840 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Yep get the over-ear ones for sure for such a long flight. We have kids versions which limit the volume too.

Backpack contents look good too. My kids are slightly older (4&5) - we take mini boxes of lego, mini puzzles, little toys etc. Probably pointless for a 2yo though.

Edited: 8:58 am, October 12, 2017
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,102 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

you know your kid best so take what you think will keep her entertained. I remember doing the same trip SFO -SYD- SFO when our youngest was just about 3 and in those days there were rudimentary electronic toys no smartphone or iPad but there was a personal TV on the UA flight so that was helpful as were for him his fav Thomas trains and other toys he played with. I think he slept for 4-5 hours but that was about 14 years ago

Have a great flight and do check the SF forum TQ for what to do with kids in SF

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

I accept that this may be a contentious issue and I don't mean to offend, but in terms of helping your child to sleep on planes, it may be worth having a conversation with your Family Physician, Paediatrician or Pharmacist about your therapeutic options. There are a range of prescription, over-the-counter, homeopathic and natural medicines available that help with both calming and sleeping. They may also have some advice on social/physical therapy that assists with calming and sleeping. I am stressing that professional medical advice is the key here - not simply advice posters like me on TripAdvisor. Also, you might want to talk to these medical professionals about the affects of tablets/smartphones on an infant - the clinical and psychological research is only in early stages but, based on my reading, there is evidence to suggest that they actually make a child more hyperactive as opposed to calming them.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,719 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Does she have her own seat? All fruit will need to be consumed/thrown out before entering the US,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,929 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

>>> Does she have her own seat? <<<

She is 2, so must have her own seat.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo

Sounds like your well prepared. Is the change of clothes just for her? If so, consider adding a change of clothes for the adults too. Friend of mine had her young one throw up all over Dad on the early part of. Long ghaul flight. They had several changes of clothes for him but not for dad - wasn't a particularly enjoyable flight for him. And it's not just them being sick, my lnievpce when she was little regularly spilt juice over everyone near her!

Reply to: Tips please for 1st long-haul Syd-Sfo with active 2yo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted