We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Hi,

I'm flying with Lufthansa from Manchester to Istanbul (Ataturk) via Frankfurt in December.

As I cannot find any information on Lufthansa's web site regarding the ban of large electronic devices, can anyone please confirm whether you are allowed to carry a laptop, camcorder or camera in your hand luggage if flying to/from Istanbul (Ataturk).

Thank you in advance.

21 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,718 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Yes.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Thanks Sammy

3. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:36 pm, October 12, 2017

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Hi,

I'm a bit confused and my trip from Manchester to Istanbul (Ataturk) is coming soon.

I contacted Lufhansa by phone today to confirm whether laptops are allowed in carry-on luggage to/from Ataturk. I don't think the person on the phone understood what I was confirming as she told me that you cannot bring a samsung device but you can bring a laptop with your carry-on luggage.

The following travel advice still states that laptop devices are banned fro Ataturk airport to the UK airport so I am not sure now. Can someone please confirm again whether you are allowed to take a laptop device as carry-on luggage to/from Ataturk on Lufhansa flights.

https:/…changes-to-uk-aviation-security

What happens if I take a laptop and I am not allowed to bring it back?

Thanks and sorry if I keep asking this question as I'm not getting a correct answer.

5. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:55 am, December 18, 2017
Edited: 9:55 am, December 18, 2017

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,440 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

are you not flying via Frankfurt in both directions?

Your departure from Istanbul will then be from Turkey to Germany so the rules about flights departing Turkey to UK are not applicable

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

The link states that for Ataturk you must contact the airline, yiu have, they say it’s fine.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Hi,

@CarolG - Yes I am flying via Frankfurt so that is a good point.

@PMQuestions - Yes I did contact Lufthansa and their standard simple answer was that you can carry a laptop with your carry-on baggage so I'm not sure if they are aware of the mobile device ban that took place in March this year which still seems to be in force at some airport according the travel advice link I sent earlier.

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

I think it stretches the imagination that a major international airline is unaware of security rules for travelling between some of the busiest airports in the world.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,197 posts
3,231 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa

Follow Lufthansa's advice

Reply to: Laptop or camcorder allowed in hand luggage with Lufthansa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted