We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost bag - 21 day rule

Silver Spring...
3 posts
Save Topic
Lost bag - 21 day rule

I booked an international trip using AA advantage miles buying 2 separate tickets. AA misplaced my bag on a domestic portion of my trip. AA sent the bag later internationally but the bag arrived to my final destination 30 days later. AA refused to pay for lost luggage stating that the bag was initially lost on domestic trip and 21 days rule is not applicable for domestic travel. They only want to compensate for delayed expenses.

I don’t understand how it is fair. I cannot claim lost baggage with AA partners because AA put my bag on international trip to my final vacation destination.

Your comments are very appreciated.

Thank you.

12 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,787 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

You want them to pay for the luggage that you got back? How is that fair?

Edited: 1:48 am, September 20, 2017
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,044 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

The bag wasn't lost if you had it back, albeit later than you would have liked, so I can't see how you could claim as if it was, simply beacause it took longer than 21 days to be returned to you. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I an't see how it would be fair to get paid for a bag that hasn't been lost.

Being compensated for the delayed bag seems fair to me, sorry.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

delayed baggage is commonly dealt with as reimbursement of essential purchases

lost baggage means you get compensated for never getting your baggage back

the 21 day referred to is often when an airline decides a delayed bag is "lost", pays the passenger compensation and, if the bag found after that point would be the property of the airline (bit like being paid out for a stolen car that is found after insurance has paid out...you would not get insurance payout and the car back!)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,044 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

My understanding is that 21 days is the earliest point at which an airline can declare baggage lost and pay out for it. It's not some automatic point at which compensation for a lost bag is paid,

It seems to me that the airline never considered that the bag was lost at all, there was just some delay in getting it to you.

Silver Spring...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

Thank you very much for the replies.

Your vacation is ruined, you did not bring the gifts for your friends, etc.. Airlines did not track my bag after international shipment and did not know the bag was found. I did all the “many hours calling.”

It is not unusual that some airlines would return your bag and reimburse you for lost luggage if it has been delayed for too long. It is a matter of keeping customers happy. OK, I got it - it does not work with this airline. Life goes on.

I still would like to ask the experts about this 21 day rule. AA explained it to me that they only responsible for the domestic portion of my trip and had nothing to do with the international portion. How is this true? I booked the tickets using AA website and AA advantage points. They shipped my bag internationally and I could not claim delayed/lost bag with another airline on my own.

Thank you.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,413 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

>> They only want to compensate for delayed expenses. <<

can you confirm what you mean by this?

do you mean they will not reimburse for your purchases because it was a domestic flight? what are they saying they will give you?

I am not familiar with AA domestic baggage delays but in UK I have had baggage missing on domestic flights and been reimbursed for purchases. I have also never been paid more than I have receipts for

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
506 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

》AA explained it to me that they only responsible for the domestic portion of my trip and had nothing to do with the international portion. How is this true? I booked the tickets using AA website and AA advantage points.《

I could be wrong, but I think the crux of the matter is that you booked 2 separate tickets. They therefore held their end of the bargain by eventaully getting your bags to you.

》They shipped my bag internationally and I could not claim delayed/lost bag with another airline on my own.《

I am not sure I understand what you are saying. But if I understand correctly, you want compensation for the delay of getting the baggage to you. You could claim to be reimbursed for *interim expenses* you incurred because of the delay (look at the domestic tariff and other applicable rules/legislation), but I don't think you could claim for loss because your baggage was eventually returned to you.

Also, I don't know how you can claim delay/loss for the international leg when you had no bags to check for that leg to begin with (again, the problem is that you had 2 separate tickets; therefore, 2 separate contracts).

》I still would like to ask the experts about this 21 day rule.《

I think the 21 days to which you are referring is the time limit you have to make a claim for interim expenses from when you receive your (delayed) luggage.

Also, I think im the US you can *start a claim* for lost baggage if you have not received your bags after 21 days. I think it will be difficult for you to claim that your baggage was lost because it wasn't. You now have it in your possession, even though it took longer than 21 days for you to receive it.

Edited: 10:52 am, September 20, 2017
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,889 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

"AA explained it to me that they only responsible for the domestic portion of my trip and had nothing to do with the international portion. How is this true? I booked the tickets using AA website and AA advantage points"

Was your bag checked through to your international destination or were you supposed to pick it up and re-check it at your international departure point? If the latter, that would explain why they are only taking responsibility for the domestic part.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

<<not unusual that some airlines would return your bag and reimburse you for lost luggage>>

It would be very unusual for an airline that if they find your bag and return it to you they would also pay for the contents on top of it. I do not know any airline doing so. If you do, please let me kindly know.

As explained above, your bag was found and returned to you (even if very late). Hence you can try to claim some necessary expenses.

21 day rule. It is a guideline (not a rule or law) that airline declare a bag lost if they were unable to find it within 21 days. The guideline is so common that people speak of it as a rule, but technically speaking it is a guideline.

<<bag was initially lost on domestic trip and 21 days rule is not applicable for domestic travel>> I take your words that this is what AA says. Hence as you were flying on two separate tickets, this rule (if it is one) is not applicable for the international part of your trip.

The key to me is, that you have been reunited with your bag. I can imagine that it caused a lot of frustration. I also understand that you might have bought stuff which will be deemed non-essential and hence nobody will reimburse you for these costs.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost bag - 21 day rule

Sounds as if the international flight was not on AA. Not clear when the bag traveled on the second airline. The last airline to have your bag is responsible. Maybe this is the problem?

In any case, you got your bag so not sure what you want the airline to do. Your bag wasn't lost, it was just delayed. You don't get compensation for that.

Edited: 11:17 am, September 20, 2017
Reply to: Lost bag - 21 day rule
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted