We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turned back at the border---what happens?

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,594 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Turned back at the border---what happens?

We were on a flight from London to Munich, landing around 7:30 pm. Border control/immigration was chaos, with a large number of non -EU passengers trying to pass through. A plane from Muscat, Oman had landed just before ours and the guards were questioning people thoroughly. Five women in covered dress were turned back, apparently because they could not answer questions in either German or English. The guard shouted loudly, "No English, no entry!" The women were sent off to the side with no direction as to what they should do.

We felt so bad for them. What would haoppen? Would the airport find an interpreter? Or would they have to pay for a flight back to Oman?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

If they were not eligible for entry, they would be returned home. You don't have to speak the language to be eligible to enter a country.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

They'd find an interpreter. The questions would be thorough.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
22,384 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

Language skills are not an entry requirement in any country I've ever visited but the lack of them could slow down the entry process as Immigration need to be satisfied they are eligible for entry.

As far as I'm aware they would call on interpreter services if required.

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

This is very odd. German border guards are usually some of the friendliest ones I've encountered, and I have been to Germany many, many, many times.

Not sure what you saw, but I'm sure there was more to it than it seemed. No way they would be turned back due to lack of language skills if they were otherwise eligible to enter.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
10,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

I'm also not sure how useful shouting "No English, no entry" would be if one didn't speak English in the first place.

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a local library... "Can't read? Call us for free lessons."

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,008 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

I was once waiting in court for my client's case to be called. The sign-language interpreter came in, and the judge decided to call the interpreter's case so she wouldn't have to wait. The deputy sheriff (let's just say he was past retirement age) shuffled to the doorway where the prisoners were waiting and proceeded to yell, 'the guy with the deaf interpreter, step forward'. Then he shuffled back into the courtroom oblivious to the fact that it had erupted in laughter and the judge was shaking his head while trying to keep a straight face.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,088 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

"The women were sent off to the side with no direction as to what they should do."

Well they presumably wouldn't have understood any direction given in English or German anyway. But my guess is that they hadn't actually been refused entry at that stage, merely shunted aside until the rest of the queue had been dealt with, and I imagine that in the meantime, an interpreter would be called.

IF these ladies were subsequently refused entry - e.g. for lack of Schengen visas, if they didn't have e.g. British nationality - the airline is required to pay to take them back as they are responsible for ensuring that passengers are legally able to enter the country of destination.

Edited: 7:04 pm, September 19, 2017
W Yorkshire
Level Contributor
5,237 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

No English, no entry ? Hardly.

I've travelled through the UK immigration hundreds of times and have never heard that. You would never be denied entry to the UK for that reason alone.

There are usually good reasons if you are denied entry, you are then sent back on the next flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

There could have been many reasons why these women were not allowed entry into the country and possibly the difficulty of no German or English language skills didn't help much.

They may not have had the proper documentation, or something else. They'd get an interpreter and ask them thorough questions.

With all the attacks going on, I'm not going to feel bad for someone being denied entry into the country on the basis they do not have the right requirements to enter.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,395 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turned back at the border---what happens?

If they had arrived in Germany, why would they shout No English , No entry?