We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

London
8 posts
Save Topic
Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

I'd like to share my experience on Silverjet, for anyone out there who's keen to fly/try business class transatlantic but doesn't want to have to pay the extortionate fares they charge on airlines like British Airways. Right now they only have one flight a day, but I was told they'll be flying twice a week by the summer and three times a week by the end of the year. They also plan to fly to more destinations, including someone said Dubai.

I think they're on to a good thing if they can make it work (which they must be). The plane is designed to carry 300 people but there are just 100 seats, so there's a lot more room. I think that was the best thing about the experience on board, the feeling of not being a sardine: on some flights I get claustrophobia. This was the opposite.

The whole aircraft is business class. I found it very luxurious, and I've flown several airlines in business class before. The food was good (you can order special meals in advance if you want, though I just had the standard choice, which I enjoyed). The seats are comfy: they're 6' 3" long, on a slight angle, but they lie flat, unlike the usual seats. There was also a massage function which was nice. You also get given your own individual entertainment system, so you can watch whatever you want when you want.

Silverjet also has its very own separate terminal at Luton with a 'Silver Lounge', and there's also a lounge at the other end, Newark. You can use the lounges and get breakfast and even have a shower on departure and on arrival, which is a great idea. They had a proper breakfast and for those who like to indulge that early in the morning there was champagne too.

You have to get to Luton/Newark just 30 minutes before your flight (though I didn't dare leave it that late), which is great compared to the usual 2 hours. There wasn't even a queue for check-in, probably because there are much fewer seats to fill, and they're only flying the one route. If you're checking in for a BA flight, for example, you have to line up with everyone going on every flight around that time. This made a big difference at security too, which is my personal horror: there was none of this cattle thing you get at Heathrow. I think I got through in about 5 minutes all told, straight out of the lounge.

If money's no object to you, then maybe you might still want to fly First Class, but for a fraction of the price I thought Silverjet was pretty amazing. It's going to be tough flying economy again, that's for sure!

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Silverjet the movie

Meant to post this here:

Have you seen this on YouTube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUuirIuquvE

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,461 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Fro the cruise fans you can link up to a Trans Atlantic cruise on the QM2

Not quite Concorde though

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

pity there arent more airlines like this one

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

I'm really excited now! We are booked to go on Silverjet in June for our Silver Wedding Anniversary and having watched the video on YouTube I'm looking forward to it even more!

Will report when I get back.. Evie t. excellent posting with lots of info.

London
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Have a good trip!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

when you say a fraction of the cost... how much are you talking? we fly regularly to JFK as we have friends in New York... usually pay around £450 return flight... would be nice to do it in style and comfort... without spending more than I can afford.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Hello,

It's a fraction of the cost of business class (Silverjet is around £800 versus £2000) but more than coach.

Cheers,

Julian

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Great report. The 'Silverjet experience' is as you describe. The fares start at £799 return (not flexible), and there are deals on their web site for hotels in New York too.

UK
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Can't wait we're going in June - £799 flights getting a bit harder to acquire now, but even at £999 they're great value. Asked them about their hotel deals, but apparently they use Airline Network - they don't actually do it themselves, so decided to book our own hotel.

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Silverjet Business Class London/New York Experience

Silverjet are offering buy one/get one free deals (or half price) on flights originating in the US if you book by May 25:

See http://www.flysilverjet.com/freequent

From the site:

Silverjet Freequent Flyer Promotion

If you are a member of a frequent flyer program, please register your details below.

We’ll then email you a special Freequent Flyer promotion code. You can use this to receive a free flight when you purchase any round trip ticket from Newark to London with us.

The promotion ends on Friday 25th May 2007, so don’t delay. Register now, and experience what it’s like to join the Silverjet set.

Silverjet’s Freequent Flyer 'Benefits'

• Use of our private lounge in Newark

• 'Fast Track' Security and Boarding

• Guaranteed Flat Bed 'upgrade'

• Seat selection in advance

• Use of arrival lounges in London and Newark

• Private Jet 'feel' with just 100 passengers

• Menu selection in advance

• Exclusive Private Terminal in London

• Save thousands with one way fares from only $899