We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow London

Peachtree Corners...
2 posts
Save Topic
Heathrow London

I am meeting a friend at Heathrow London. I will be arriving from Africa and she will be arriving from the U.S.

I arrive at 6:00 am and she arrives at 8:00 with both of us arriving in Terminal 3. Do I have to retrieve my baggage immediately or can I wait until she arrives. If not, where is a designated place in which we can meet around the baggage claim?

Thank you in advanced.

7 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow London

Yes you do need to retrieve your luggage or it will be removed from carousel for the next flight (and in any case who wants to stand around a luggage hall for a couple of hours). Go through to arrivals hall and eitther wait at a meeting point or agree a cafe where you can wait (and have a plan B if either of you is seriously delayed).

www.heathrow.com/arrivals/meeting-points

Windhoek, Namibia
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow London

Definitely retrieve it ASAP. And I would recommend taking a look at T3 on the map and seeing what kind of cafes are just outside of immigration/customs, and choosing one of those to meet at. I know there's a Caffe Nero at T3 arrivals, but not sure what else.

Edited: 2:08 pm, September 15, 2017
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,917 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow London

Another vote for cafe Nero landside

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow London

Depending upon on your class of travel, airline and frequent flyer status there are several arrivals lounges in Terminal 3 run by American Airlines and Virgin you could use whilst you wait and also act as a decent meeting spot. If you have Priority Pass you could always wander over to Terminal 2 (it's a bit of a walk) where you could use the Plaza Premium Arrivals Lounge.

https:/…

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,096 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow London

what I would not do is to wait for long before trying to get your baggage. If it is sitting on the carousel it may get removed by the airline or it may get removed by someone else .

I do remember meeting someone at that same cafe Nero

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,882 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow London

'If not, where is a designated place in which we can meet around the baggage claim?' Please don't plan on doing this. The baggage hall is hot, airless, windowless, and has zero appeal.

Bags are usually on the belt by the time one has gone through passport control. Collect yours, walk through Customs and go through to the main arrivals hall. Bear right and you'll see a branch of WH Smith, a branch of Boots, and next to Boots a decent sized branch of Caffe Nero.

It's a decent place to have a hot drink and difficult to miss when one comes through into arrivals. It's also much nicer than being stuck in the baggage hall.

Peachtree Corners...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow London

Thank you so much. That is so helpful and it seems like everyone is suggesting the same cafe! Thank you again.

Reply to: Heathrow London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted