We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

I have recently returned home from a 2 week holiday to Greece with my girlfriend. I thought I would write a post on trip advisor about my experience taking Diazepam prescribed to me by my GP for my fear of flying. Before my trip I googled relentlessly trying to find posts from people in a similar situation and could only really find snippets of peoples experiences so I thought I would help any fellow sufferers by sharing my own.

When we booked our holiday I made an appointment with my GP and asked if there was anything they could do to help with a fairly crippling fear of flying. My doctor waisted no time in writing me a prescription for 6 2mg tablets of Diazepam. She told me they would ease my nerves and I'd be fine, she apparently handed them out all the time. Literally it couldn’t have been any easier getting hold of the medication! Maybe I should have told her it was a longer flight! I told her the length of the flight (3 hours) and she said 6 tablets would be fine. 1 about an hour before, 1 once i’m on the plane and another just incase I feel really bad. I must say this did instantly help my anxiety, I thought I had a little pill that would solve my problems.

Well as usual when I'm approaching the date of my flight, my anxiety builds up and I spend more and more time thinking about how soon I will have to face my fear. Luckily my girlfriend is very supportive and I was largely stress free. Although I have always said that I am completely unable to get excited about a trip until I have landed. There is never any excitement about the hotel or the new culture or about the new food or the beaches. All of that is overshadowed by the fact that I will first have to fly!

The day finally comes and I have my box of pills in my hand luggage and we’re off to the airport. I also actually had 2 5mg Diazepam tablets that I had been prescribed when I pulled a muscle in my back months earlier. They helped with the pain and in the end I didn’t use all of the pills and had a few left over. I had read online that 5mg is more likely to send you to sleep than 2mg will so I thought I’d bring them along as back up! About 3 hours before my flight I took my first 2mg tablet, this was in the car on the way to the airport (Don’t worry I wasn’t driving!). I didn’t feel too different but I did feel as if I wasn’t quite as panicked as I could have been. No racing heart or anything. It was more like I was very excepting of the fact that I had to do it.

Once on the plane and in my seat I took another 2mg tablet. I was nervous at the point but definitely felt a lot better than previous flights. It could have been a completely placebo effect but something was working! When we were taking off I closed my eyes and was practising my deep breathing and I was surprised how chilled I felt. I really had a different kind of confidence. I was in now way comfortable, don’t get me wrong! But it was more like I knew that I couldn’t back out and I was excepting the situation. I was able to think about all the reasons why everything was ok, the air stewards aren’t panicked, the other passengers are fine, nothing was distracting my mind. Whenever there was a dip or jolt of the plane I did my usual flinch and reached for the base of my seat but was a lot quicker in calming myself down and realising that it was nothing. The flight actually seemed to fly by, excuse the pun, and before I knew it I was in Greece on the boiling hot runway and I was able to start getting excited about 2 weeks in the sun!

I wouldn’t say that the drugs ‘cured’ me but they definitely did help. It could have been a complete placebo effect! The only thing I could relate it to is having a few stiff drinks to calm your nerves. You no longer have the ability to over think and cause yourself to start panicking. All of my problems stem from my own mind and my ability to feel one jolt and completely overthink it.

I told myself I’d try to keep this ‘review’ short but here I am! I’ll try and wrap it up! Either way I thought it would be helpful to lend a hand/opinion to any fellow people with a fear of flying. I feel that I have made some real progress with my fear and think it is very positive to talk about your fear with others. Please do get in touch with me if you have any questions or just simply want to talk about being afraid of flying and the possible benefits of taking medication to help.

Remi

London, UK

Non frequent flyer (hopefully that will change)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

The report by the first poster is interesting and perhaps gives insight into fear of flying and anxiety and the steps she took to perhaps overcome this.

For possible benefits of taking medication for flying, there is only one person you should be taking advice from and that is your Doctor, or local medical clinic/hospital. Taking advice from a group of strangers is not very wise idea.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,833 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

Been there, done that, even cancelled holidays because I was too scared to go. I realised that taking prescription meds does nothing to help a fear of flying, other than mask the symptoms, and taking drugs just so you can go on a plane is daft so I decided I would never do it again. I got hypnotherapy and over time I got better and better. No more pitiful blubbering wreck. The day I sat on my own for the first time was a huge achievement to me. Now we always sit across the aisle from each other wherever possible, but if we're separated it's no big deal. A couple of years ago I even helped a young girl who was so scared she was crying her eyes out. She reminded me of me, and it brought tears to my eyes.

Drugs are a short term fix. Better to address the root of the problem IMO.

UK
Level Contributor
1,835 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

100% agree with the post above

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,090 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

This post and your other one: "My doctor waisted (sic) no time in writing me a prescription for 6 2mg tablets of Diazepam. She told me they would ease my nerves and I'd be fine, she apparently handed them out all the time. Literally it couldn’t have been any easier getting hold of the medication! "

Whilst I sympathise with anyone who suffers from anxiety for any reason, I suspect that sooner or later your GP is going to be reported and/or investigated if she's that eager to dish out such drugs "all the time". Personally, I hope it's sooner.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
23,532 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

"your GP is going to be reported and/or investigated if she's that eager to dish out such drugs"

---

Reported for what? I'm sure the GP has the patients medical records to hand, and even though the Op may state that it was easy to get medication, I doubt the doctor is dishing out prescriptions for fun.

Sunderland, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

Best thing I've ever done was to go to the docs and get some diazepam for my fear of flying. They totally relaxed me and i can even say for the first time in my life I actually slightly enjoyed the whole journey to the holiday resort i was travelling to. This included the flying bit. So I for one totally agree with the original poster I also haven't the spare money to go to an hypnotists. I just wish I could get my hands on some of those Ludes that were being abused on the film "The Wolf Of Wall Street" . Nothing to do with flying but they seem to be one mighty fine experience.

P.S only joking Drugs should be only taken when they're medically needed and prescribed by your GP

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,833 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

My GP wouldn't give me tranquillizers just for a fear of flying, but he did give me something to calm my nerves. I can see now that he was right not to. Dishing out benzodiazepines just so you can go on holiday really isn't the the right thing to do. Referring people for CBT would be the best way to go, IMO. Too many GPs are still too quick to hand out drugs for a quick fix be those benzodiazepines, antibiotics, antidepressants or any other strong meds.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
162 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

In Some countries you just walk into pharmacy and buy then and people hear are worried because a doctor hands then out? I am in Vietnam and need them for the bumpy buses and flights. I just got a fear of flying after severe turbulence in Singapore . I was not afraid but now panicked. I had to fly again without meds and that flight also dropped. I had a connection so waited 3 hours and worked myself up to the point that I puked all through the next flight and also managed to give myself diahriah . That flight was fairly smoothe and when the seatbelt signs came on i expected massive drops but it was nothing . I am trying to understand what triggered phobia if I have flown over 100 times . Now I am going to buy some in Vientnam as the monsoon season is scary to fly in. I may take 6 mg or valium as I want to be knocked out instead of puking on myself due to the toilet being occupied.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,652 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

<<and people hear are worried because a doctor hands then out>> Different countries, different laws. But it is your body.

<<instead of puking on myself due to the toilet being occupied.>> There are bags for this event. Check before take off and ask an FA in case there is none there. They will hand you one out with pleasure.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
40,833 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diazepam/Valium for fear of flying

Post 8 is a necropost.