We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

Hi

I have just done a web check in through air asia website. I received the check in confirmation and the bar code through my email but I noticed the following message:

"You have now been checked-in for your flight. You must print your boarding pass(es) to avoid paying a reprint or counter check-in fee at the airport on the day of departure".

I do not have a printer at home.

Is it a must that I have to print out my boarding pass. Can I just show the e-copy to them

Thank you

16 replies to this topic
Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,251 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

We've never printed our boarding passes flying Air Asia from Hong Kong. We've always just gone to the check in desk (even when we have checked in online) and got our boarding passes. As far as I'm aware, Hong Kong airport doesn't accept e-copies of boarding cards, so you'd need a printed one.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
780 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

At Penang they have self service machines where you can print off your boarding pass as well as luggage tag. Staff were at hand in case people to help those who were unsure as to what to do. No doubt there will be the same at Hong Kong.

The message you have seen only applies to internal flights within Malaysia. At Singapore the machine would not let me check in so had to go to a desk. It was done within 5 minutes without any fuss. They are a nice airline and generally pretty efficient. Punctuality could be better as both my flights with them were delayed but only by around 30 minutes. The one thing that they are not is Asia's version of Ryanair who do punish those who do a counter check in.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

The check-in policy of Air Asia is here:

https://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do…

Note that the airport counter check-in fee which includes printing your boarding pass only applies to domestic flights within Malaysia, and the fee is a measly RM10 or around $US2.30 unlike the extortionate rate of some other LCCs.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
780 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

RM10 is hardly worth worrying about - its only £2. A lot more reasonable than Ryanair whose counter check in charge can cost more than many of their flights.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,906 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

At the initial entry point into the restricted area, e-copies and mobile boarding passes are accepted.

>>>As far as I'm aware, Hong Kong airport doesn't accept e-copies of boarding cards, so you'd need a printed one.

That said, if you have a printer, why not just print a copy so you don't have to worry?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

Anyone know why I could not do web check in - aiasia flying to hk !!!!???

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

I didn't need to print a hard copy in October last year when I flew from HK to Malaysia. I just showed them the passport and the e-copy of the boarding pass

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,922 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

<<<Anyone know why I could not do web check in - aiasia flying to hk>>>

-You could have known the answer by now if called the hotline of AirAsia. You can also do a web chat if you want.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
487 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

Re: #6 - You can only do web check in within 14 days from the date of travel. There are also some situations where you can not do web check in according to Air Asia policy:

* Pregnant guests

* Guest(s) traveling with infant(s)

* Guest(s) with reduced mobility and those with special needs

* Guest(s) aged below 16 years old and travelling alone

* Guest(s) with a medical condition/illnesses

It may be the case that you fall in one of the categories above then the system will automatically disallow you from doing a web check-in.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong

During my last several trips on airasia (last trip was earlier this month) I was not allowed do web check-in for my return trip to Australia and got a message saying that my destination require counter check-in. What I understood is that airasia may no longer allow web check-in for some destinations. However, I am not sure if HK is falling into that category of destinations.

Reply to: Air Asia Check In Flying from Hong Kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted