We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

I have just recently returned from a trip to Europe, and although I was originally very much happy with the price of my itinerary - I have occurred multiple baggage fees (adding up to additional ~ $300) which spoiled my overall satisfaction with Kiwi.

I do understand that our tickets were booked in economy class (no surprise there) & I did check in very detail w/ every airline we were booked on in regards of specific luggage allowances & possible fees. However - accessing the Kiwi-purchased reservation on the airline's website, the customer does not learn about the 'underclass' (= lite) in which the economy ticket was purchased & additional luggage fees. If no advanced luggage fee is purchased, charges double (or triple) if required to buy at the gate, while boarding. On the other hand -- while returning back to the US, and after 'lesson learned' from the outbound part of our journey -- I have purchased additional luggage services ahead of time for our return flights (following the airlines' website guidance) -- to our surprise -- this was not required, and I waisted money on these additional fees.

So -- I understand that each airline has a different luggage allowance, however for Kiwi customer, it is pretty much impossible to determine what is allowed and what is not. The economy-lite booking underclass allowing passengers to travel sometimes w/ personal item only, sometimes w/ personal item + 1 carry on piece is very much undiscoverable until you get to the gate (= too late).

So be aware: saving $200 on airfare might end up causing much more on extensive luggage fees.

30 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

Another reason to book directly with the airline.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

That's because kiwi cobbles together flights on separate tickets, which is very dangerous in the first place if a flight is delayed. The extra baggage fees and lack of information thereof is yet another issue. Kiwi should be avoided like the plague as hundreds of people on this forum have attested to.

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

Have the same issue now...Kiwi.com wants an extra 91 Euro for my checked in luggage, but according to the 2 Airlines that i will use, the luggage in the economy is free...any advise what i should do now? Don´t want to triple pay at the airport....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

Which airlines are you flying?

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

Wamos Air & Air Europa...Meanwhile talking to the 3. KIWI.com call center agent, i found out, that my checked luggage for my first flight (CUN-MAD) via Wamos Air INCLUDES my checked luggage, but only my 2nd Flight with Air Europa (MAD-MUC) has a "Tarifa LITE" what does´t come with checked luggage.

According to Air Europas website i can book a checked luggage now for 30 Euros...that is actually less then what KIWI.com asked me on the time of booking (=33Euro) ...it seems like KIWI.com added 10% surcharge to the actual luggage fee...

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

Well, they are not going to do things for you for nothing.

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

That´s for sure ;) but why do they want now 91Euro, instead of the 33Euro-->This is not even my point.

BUT why do they book you in "Tarife LITE" with no checked luggage and don´t tell you this? That´s my point.

However, i payed now 30euros directly to Air Europa, and hope everything will be fine....better then paying 91euros to KIWI.com :((

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,073 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

To offer you the cheaper flight and make you more likely to buy the ticket. This is what Kiwi and other 3rd parties do all the time.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,516 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

That´s for sure ;) but why do they want now 91Euro, instead of the 33Euro-->This is not even my point.

========

Because Kiwi is a shonky bunch of shysters who aren't working with the airline(s). They're working against the airline(s) and shafting passengers like you for the extra fees.

Of course had you bothered to do any research before booking you would have seen hundreds of (genuine) complaints and would have run away like a gazelle. But alas you're another one of the careless people that doesn't pay attention and keeps these shysters in business.

Remember that next time you book, and book directly with the airline.

Edited: 2:16 am, August 21, 2017
UK
Level Contributor
2,396 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements

"How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements"

How are people still booking with KIWI.com?

Reply to: How is KIWI.com not handling luggage requirements
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted