We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel republic

northern ireland
7 posts
Save Topic
travel republic

has anyone used this company before and how reliable ar they?

Goole, United...
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel republic

Used them for flights in september....payment went though fine,and the tickets were delivered 2 weeks beforehand too.

No problems at all.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel republic

I've used them a couple of times for flights and quite often for accommodation. They were very helpful when we needed to change a name on the flight ticket. I find their hotel prices very competitive.

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel republic

Beware of unexpected charges for credit cards. When I selected to pay by credit card there was no indication of a transaction fee in the drop-down menu (as is common practice on the web). After complaining, I was told that a new line appears higher up the screen showing a 2% charge in small type. There's no reason why you'd notice this as it's not visible unless you scroll backwards. Even then its not shown in the much larger "Total Cost" figure. Charges are not even mentioned in the T's & C's.

I pointed this out to TR and asked them to refund the charge but they repeatedly refused. I feel the charge was sneaky as the website seems to go out of its way to conceal it.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel republic

If you had checked their information section on FAQ's on the not yet booked section the information is clear - 2% for c/cards and 1% for debit cards. Also, when I've booked with them before you know the totl cost before you finally agree to the booking.

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel republic

I don' think it's reasonable to expect a customer to read the FAQ's just to check for hidden charges.

The credit card charge doesn't show in the "Total Cost" (so it's not really a total is it?) and the additional fee isn't visible unless you know to scroll back up the screen. If it showed you the total and then said "submit payment" next to it that would be fine, but it doesn't.

It sounds like you're happy with TR now you know those things. Good for you. To me its appalling web design so I'm just trying to warn others.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel republic

As practically every company charges extra for using cards it's always a good idea to find out that information prior to booking, and it can always be found somewhere on the information or FAQ's pages.

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel republic

Not all companies do make a charge, and if they do so I expect it to be clear in the price that they show me, otherwise I'll assume there isn't one.

I don't think it's reasonable for them to make me hunt for it in a FAQ, T's & C's or anywhere else. That's a weasel approach. If there's a charge, fine, let me see it and choose, but at least be transparent about it.

If you want to spend your days reading small print before you buy something, that's your choice. I'd rather not.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
1,013 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel republic

So when you accept the booking conditions you're one of those people who haven't read them? Well, I'm one of those people who does and consequently haven't had problems or surprises!

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel republic

I give my business to websites I can trust. Concealed charges mean I trust a site much less.

1000's of other sites manage to make their charges transparent without requiring customers to trawl through their small print, so if Travel Republic can't manage this, then I think other people should be warned.

Even if you read the 11 pages of Terms & Conditions on Travel Republic there is no mention of the fee. I'd already mentioned this in an earlier post - perhaps in your rush to post about your own smugness you overlooked this detail?

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel republic

I've had a look and I have to say I do find it a little misleading, but not overly so. The total price is displayed above the section where you enter your card details, but as noted, you may have scrolled past that point (depending on how big your screen is) and so it's easy to miss.

It would be very simple for TR to add the cost of each payment type to the drop-down menu, as other airlines do (Mastercard - £9.98 handling fee).

Not the best of site designs, but you do get the opportunity to see the final price before you buy.