We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Business Class to Europe

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Business Class to Europe

In all my air travels to Europe, I have never flown business class. I have always travelled in "coach." Is business class worth paying a few extra thousand? Or does that depend on the airline? I have a choice of flying "Atalia" or "Lufthansa/United" to Milan in September this year and would like to fly business class this time, if it's worth it. Is it worth it?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

If it is worth it or not is a personal decision. Some people feel it is, some don't. Go to the airline website(s) and read about business class. Then read about coach. See what each one offers and lacks, and then make your own, personal decision. Chuck

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

Well as most travellers who fly business class are not paying for it themselves then they will say yes it is worth it! But if you are paying out of your own pocket thousands £££/$$$'s for a 8/9 hour flight then I personally cannot justify spending that much. If money was not as issue then of course I would love to fly business class.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

Try the low costs version of Business Class with Silverjet or Maxjet

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,472 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

But that's for flights to the UK - but there are plenty of flights from the UK to Milan

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

It really is a decision that has to be made on a personal basis. If I had sufficient funds to pay out potentially $5000 + on a decent business ticket (I make that distinction because there are some airlines where $500 isn't worth it) I would imagine I'd have enough money to go the whole hog and buy First. Of course, this may be more a reflection of my fiscal irresponsibility than anything else. Still, there are very few business services on the European routes that are really worth that extra money. Now, if you were talking really long-haul, my answer might be different. That, of course, is what makes economy plus services so attractive: not much in extra services, but defintely extra space.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

This is all really good information. Thank you. Just to level set the advice, Yes... I would be paying for this out of my own pocket (not expensing to my place of business) and the length of the flight is about 8 - 10 hours, then a break and 3 or so hours more on a second flight.

7. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:50 pm, April 11, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
725 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

Economy plus on United is fine if your simply interested in leg room. The only problem (or perhaps advantage) is that Economy + is only available to either 1) elite UA fliers or b) people who have paid the $299 to join economy plus access, if seats are available at the time of booking, although if those seats aren't filled you can buy them at the airport with no status.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
2,700 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

Just to give a different personal perspective I do fly business class on flights that are longer then 5 hours. I like the the comfort and higher service levels. It's not just the flight it's the whole experience. In business class you have shorter lines at check-in and you have use of the lounge at the airport. Then you get off the plane first so you breeze through Immigration quickly. Then your luggage has priority handling so you get it back quickly and you're out of the airport ahead of the rest of the flight. Economy class long haul stresses me and takes away from the holiday experience.

Business class is more expensive than economy class but if you shop around there are discounted tickets to be found.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,284 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Business Class to Europe

We have used airmiles to travel to LA from UK (just paid taxes) and have also done a combination of cash/airmiles to travel business.In December we forked out for business tickets to New Zealand.Now that IS a long flight ----11 hrs to LA then another 12 to Auckland.We were so glad of our flat beds and the much better than average food/wine to make this a bearable,if not enjoyable trip.The problem is once you have done long haul this way it is hard to go back.We hope to return to NZ in a couple of years but would not consider anything other than the business cabin for such a journey.If you can afford to treat yourself do it!